Improvements for posts related to events

(This comments has been moved from [Aug 26 & 27] Conversation Hours on Copyright Advocacy)

Maybe stupid comment on the form rather then the content
(will try to attend just can not promise much more),
but I like the use of explicit date in title [Aug 26 & 27] for event
so visually it is easy to immediately decide if one is able to attend
and read the event announcement.

Once the event passes maybe it make sense archive it or
change title by crossing the date part - no?

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words! I’m always trying to convey the most useful information first for folks with busy inboxes. I like the idea of just archiving/striking through the dates to repost each month. Great tip!

1 Like

Very good points. We can expect many activities within the scope of the MS Forum that happen at a time, date, and time zone.

Discourse already offers basic functionality out of the box. When writing a post, users can click the calendar :spiral_calendar: icon to insert a date:

The result looks like this (you can hover over the data with your mouse to see more information):

Wikimedia Summit: 2022-09-08T22:00:00Z→2022-09-10T22:00:00Z

August 27, Asia-Pacific Friendly time : 08:00–09:00 UTC (15:00–16:00 Bangkok, Jakarta / 16:00–17:00 Singapore / 13:30–14:30 New Delhi / 18:00-19:00 Melbourne / 20:00-21:00 Auckland)

This date information above (source) could be presented like this in the Forum:

2022-08-27T09:00:00Z→2022-08-27T10:00:00Z

Logged-in users see the information in their timezone and language format.

The advanced mode offers other types of formatting i.e., the same dates above:

Saturday, August 27, 2022 9:00 AM→Saturday, August 27, 2022 10:00 AM

This is possible already now. If there is interest in more, we could consider trying the Discourse Event plugin, which brings some of the features suggested by @Zblace.

3 Likes

Good to know that can advance. I expect many smaller events being
announced after Wikimania and Wikimedia Summit are done and that can
get too busy quickly.

It would be useful to agree on a systematic way to announce events, yes.

As a little step, I have started editing posts to make people aware of this feature. See

2 Likes

Thank you that will be very helpful !

1 Like

@Zblace What if we morph this request into a proposal to enable the official plugin Discourse Event? It’s just a couple of admin clicks away. The features of this plugin would be useful for Using this forum in the context of events.

A couple of illustrative screenshots:

3 Likes

I think that would be a great idea. it’s a great way to increase our functionality here, and it really does benefit the community. keep those great ideas coming, @Qgil-WMF !

3 Likes

Sorry but I totally missed this post…

IMHO follow the bold Wiki principle and just enable it even if just for few hours or days as experiment. Maybe a topic with FORUM Maintenance and Service Announcements should be announcing such posts, so people who wanna test (bleeding edge) plugins could follow and join in formal tech. experiments.

3 Likes

Isto seria mesmo muito Ăştil! Os encontros sĂŁo uma parte fundamental da atividade das comunidades Wikimedia. +1 apoio total.

3 Likes

The Discourse Calendar plugin has been enabled including the Discourse Event functionality. There are many settings available, but I haven’t changed anything

We have a calendar of incoming events. Now we need some calendar data. :slight_smile:

Let’s update the first post as we learn about these new features.

1 Like

Can I be temporarily selfish and suggest you add my two topics with CALLs as I am in prep panic to go to Ohrid right now? I promise to go back to them if they need correction and edit in 24h.

1 Like

Estou tentado adicionar este evento no calendário, mas ainda não percebi como se faz isso. :smiling_face_with_tear:
Vou tentar aqui mais uma vez. Qualquer coisa, volto aqui para pedir socorro. Obrigada! Essa funcionalidade Ă© incrĂ­vel.

3 Likes

Done (see the calendar now):

I’m learning myself as we speak. :slight_smile: Only users who can edit the description can make this change. This means that this is either the author, moderatos/admins… or we can convert the post in a wiki post and then anyone can do it. :slight_smile: I’ll do this for this post.

Then you need to edit the post, place the cursor at the top of the post, click the :gear: icon, and click “Create event”. A form will appear, fill it, and save changes. This should work.

3 Likes

Nice! See the “in 6 days” box in the timeline:

Also, I have set a reminder for both topics 60 minutes before the event. I’m not sure what this will do. Maybe notify those who have expressed interest? Maybe the topic is bumped to the top of the timeline?

2 Likes

If this is working well then Wikimedians who use FB for events (but otherwise hate it) can start moving in massively… This could really be the killer feature!

1 Like

Turns out you can set a calendar for a specific category. See for instance CEE Meeting - Movement Strategy Forum.

It is also possible to send bulk invites for a specific event. I guess the topic author and moderators/admins can do this. At the top right corner of the post, there are three dots. When clicking them, a dialog appears:

Clicking “Bulk invite” offers various ways to invite Forum users:

3 Likes

Thanks Quim, confirming that I as a non-author/moderator could not invite people to the event.

2 Likes

Interesting. We might need an overview of all this.

In case you are curious, I am testing more functionality here: Testing custom fields in events and more

@Zblace, yes, I commit to write an overview. Other volunteers welcome! The first post is wiki editable. :wink:

1 Like