Updates from the Communities - weekly newsletter

Happy Monday everyone,

I hope you are having a good start to the week. It was a busy week so get a nice cup of tea and start your week with some reading :eyeglasses:!

Articles, Publications, etc.:

Videos and Podcasts:

Things to participate in:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week I learned about the Ojibwe religion which is the traditional Native American religion of the Ojibwe people and dates back to about 1200 CE. It has, at its core, powerful supernatural beings called the manitouk.

You are done for today! Let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or comments.

Have a lovely week,

Julia

Hi all,

It is Monday and I hope you all had a good weekend enjoying yourselves! Get yourself a nice hot drink :teapot: and enjoy taking a trip to what our communities did in the last week.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week I learned about another Native American religion, the Lakota religion, which has the concept of wakʽą, an energy or power permeating the universe, at its center. Read up on it and enjoy the beautiful artwork!

Let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or comments. Have a lovely week.

Best,

Julia

Hello everyone,

Welcome to your start of the week with lots of great community news! I will be off on holiday next week so your next update will be earlish in week 13 :smiley:. Get yourself a nice warm drink and catch up with things. It is international women’s month so there are plenty of events focused on closing the gender gap :female_sign::muscle:.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week I do not have a favorite article but many favorite articles! Check out this amazing list of Lucy Moore who set herself the challenge of writing biographies for women from each of the world’s countries! :female_sign::tada:

You are done for today! Let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or comments.

Have a good week and see you in 2 weeks.

Cheers,

Julia

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Happy Tuesday :partying_face:. Hope you all had a good week last week and are ready to catch up once more with news from our communities. Quick additional note, next Monday is Easter Monday where I live, so your next update will be on Tuesday.

Videos and Podcasts:

From the WMF:

From the Board:

From the Communities:

My favorite article is about the first British woman officer to land in occupied Europe after D-Day, Margot Marshall :medal_military::female_sign:.

All done for today! Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or comments.

Cheers,

Julia

Hi everyone,

It was a long weekend here and super sunny, so lots of walking on the seaside for me :sunny:. Start off your Tuesday by catching up with what our communities did over the last weeks. Enjoy!

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week I learned about Calamophyton, an extinct genus of a tree-size plant :deciduous_tree:. A whole fossilized forest of them was found in Somerset, UK :deciduous_tree::deciduous_tree::deciduous_tree::deciduous_tree::deciduous_tree::deciduous_tree::deciduous_tree:!

All done for today! Thank you for reading and let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Enjoy your week,

Julia

I feel that this process and the resulting community effects have barely been truly looked at or discussed.

link to this article, just for clarity.

1 Like

higly useful video!!

1 Like

Hi all,

After I was happily proclaiming spring last week, Finish weather said no and we are back to ice and snow :snowman_with_snow:. So hot tea for me. Get yourself a nice warm drink too and start the week with catching up on Communities news. Enjoy! :sunflower:

Articles, publications, etc.:

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

Moving on to my favorite new article of last week. I learned about Railroad land grants in the United States :steam_locomotive:.

You are all done for today. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Have a good week.

Cheers,

Julia

1 Like

Happy Monday everyone,

Hope you are having a great start to your week :cherry_blossom:! Enjoy the update and have a good week!

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

My favorite article of the week took me to an extraordinary dinner set, the Tafelservice für berühmte Frauen (Famous Women Dinner Service) :female_sign::plate_with_cutlery: which has plates for female authors, queens, beauties, actresses, and dancers as well as the two artists who created the dinner service in the 1930s.

All finished for today! Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or feedback.

Have a good week.

Cheers,

Julia

1 Like

Happy Tuesday everyone,

Start off with a nice cup of tea and learn about all the cool things our communities have been doing.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

Last week saw a fire destroying the historic stock exchange building in Copenhagen :disappointed_relieved:, so I took some time to explore all the other industrial building gems that Copenhagen has :factory:.

This is it for this week. Have a great week everyone and let me know if there is any feedback, comments, or questions.

Cheers,

Julia

1 Like

Happy start of the week everyone,

I hope you had a good weekend. Next week, I am at the AI Sauna :woman_in_steamy_room: conference on Monday and Tuesday so your update will be a midweek update. But for now, start your week off by reading up on some of the great things our communities have been doing :cherry_blossom:.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week I learned more about Enchylium polycarpon also known as the shaly jelly lichen :seedling: (sorry, there is no lichen emoji…)

You are all done for today, see you next week Wednesday with your next update. Have a good week and let me know if you have any comments, questions, or suggestions.

Cheers,

Julia

Happy midweek everyone,

I am just back from the AI sauna :woman_in_steamy_room: conference here in Helsinki and it was really good! We are already half way through the week, so take a minute to catch up with some of the going ons in our communities. Enjoy :cherry_blossom:

Videos and Podcasts:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week I learned about the fate of the ship Querini :anchor: which sank in the Atlantic in 1431 after being blown off course. Only 11 people survived and managed to reach the Lofoten in Norway :mountain_snow:where they were looked after.

All done for this week, let me know if you have any comments, questions, or feedback and you will hear from me again on Monday, back to normal schedule.

Cheers,

Julia

Happy Monday,

It’s beautiful and sunny in Helsinki and there is hope of spring in the air :sunny::seedling:. Start off your week by diving into some of the great things our communities have been up to in the past week.

Videos and Podcasts:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week I learned more about Roman bricks :brick:have a look at the fascinating history and production of bricks in Roman times.

All done for today! Let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback.

Have a lovely week.

Cheers,

Julia

Happy start to the week everyone,

I hope you had a nice weekend. I went to Lappeenranta which sits at the edge of lake Saimaa and is beautiful around this time of the year when the days are getting really long :sunrise:. Let’s start the week by reading some of the amazing things our communities have been doing. Enjoy :sunflower:!

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week I learned more about the Environmental history of the United States :seedling: spanning from the pre-Columbian times to nowadays.

Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any feedback, questions, or comments.

Have a lovely week,

Julia

Hi all,

It is indeed again Monday and you are about to have an even better start to the week by reading about some of the cool things our communities have been doing! It is still beautiful and sunny in Helsinki :sunny: so the long winter feels very much done up here in the north!

Videos and Podcasts:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week I learned more about the series of Solar Storms :sunny::tornado:that were going across the northern hemisphere this month (I know, I live in Finland, but it is light very late at the moment so I am just asleep when these things happen and I did not see any of the spectacle :disappointed:).

All done for today! Thank you for reading and let me know if you have any questions, comments, or feedback.

Best,

Julia

Happy Monday everyone,

Hope you all had a good weekend. I had a lovely sunny weekend walking along the archipelago shorelines :sunny::deciduous_tree:. Have a good start to your week and enjoy this week’s news from our communities.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the Communities:

This week I took a trip to the Ship Cafe :ship:in Venice, California. Enjoy hanging out with the stars of the silver screen.

All done for today. Thank you for reading and let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Cheers,

Julia

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I hope you all had a relaxing weekend and are enjoying your start to the week. Today’s update is busy! All our communities had lots of things to share so dive in and enjoy starting your week with some amazing stories! :blossom:

Videos of Podcasts:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

And now, something totally different. This week I had a look at the list of the many many sieges that Demetrius I Poliorcetes conducted during his time in the military career.

You are all done for today :raised_hands:. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or feedback.

Cheers,

Julia

1 Like

Happy Monday everyone,

Start your week with catching up on some of the amazing things our community has done in the past week. I am traveling next week so your next update will be on the 2nd of July. Until then, have a great week!

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

My favorite article of the week made me travel on the Decauville-Bahn im Umbra-Wald :steam_locomotive::deciduous_tree:, a forest railway that used to connect the local wood industry.

All done for today! Thank you for reading and let me know if you have any questions, comments, or feedback. As mentioned, no update next week so see you all on the 2nd of July.

Have a great week,

Julia

1 Like

this is one of the most useful threads here; bumping this thread, for that reason.

i would pin this thread, and hope to do so, if given that ability. thanks.