Updates from the Communities - weekly newsletter

Hi,
I am Julia and work as a Community Relations person for the WMF Advancement team. For my team I create a weekly newsletter about some of the amazing things going on across our communities. I am now starting to cross posting this here. I am always happy to hear suggestions and help with questions. Please note the newsletter is far from complete and is subjective as I am the one selecting what I share. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Happy start to the week,

The last four days were a whirlwind of fun with Wikimania going on 🎉✨! I hope those who attended had a blast. If you didn’t get a chance to attend, don’t worry, this will start you off with catching up! Make yourself a tea 🍵and enjoy.

🎉✨ Wikimania round up (edition one, I got a feeling more will be published throughout the week):

Articles, Publications etc.:

Videos and Podcasts:

Things to participate in:

From the Communities:

Yes the best part, my favourite new article of the week! This week I learned all about the 👑 Coronation of James I and Anne (it was raining☔). Enjoy reading and admiring the amazing period dress pictures.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please do get in touch.

Cheers,

Julia

7 Likes

Happy Monday everyone,

I hope you all had a restful weekend (it was way too hot for what I can cope with here in Helsinki… ☀ but today it finally rains ☔). Get yourself a tea 🍵 and start the week by catching up on some of the cool things our communities are doing.

Articles, Publications, etc.:

Podcast and Videos:

From the Communities:

My favourite article of the week takes us to the far north. Read up (in German) on Geokryologie ❄️ 🪨 - the study of the permafrost zone. The article gives you an inside into the field’s fascinating history from Siberia to northern America.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please get in touch.

Cheers,

Julia

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a lovely start to your week and enjoyed your weekend (it was kind of the last summer weekend in Helsinki so I spent mine by the sea ☀🌊). Get yourself a lovely hot drink 🍵 of your choice and start your week with catching up on some of the wonderful things from the Wiki communities.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

My favourite new article of the week comes from German Wikipedia and showed me the amazing history of the neolithic archaeological site of Moorsiedlung. One of the many finds was a dugout canoe! 🚣

This is all for today! If you have any questions or comments just let me know.

Best,

Julia

6 Likes

@JBrungs_WMF sorry to bring negative feedback in otherwise impressive overview,
but most of these links (without any reason) go through Facebook as forward link
and in that way are used for tracking…Hope you can avoid that by not copy-pasting.

1 Like

Hi Z,
Thanks for pointing this out. We are investigating how to avoid this.
Best,
Julia

2 Likes

Good you take it seriously.
Basic manual find/replace should do, otherwise there are scripts to do this.

2 Likes

Happy Monday everyone,

Helsinki has embraced autumn 🍂 and I spent time outside enjoying it. I hope you had a lovely weekend too! To start off your week, catch up with some of the many cool things our communities are doing! ✨

Podcasts and Videos:

From the Communities:

This week I took a virtual tour through Jever and explored the city’s historic buildings 🏘🏠🏰! Enjoy! ✨

If you have any questions or suggestions, please get in touch.

Best,

Julia

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

Hope you are having a lovely start to the week. I will be off next week 😎☀ so the next Updates from the Communities will be back on the 26th of September. Enjoy starting your week with updates from our amazing communities! ✨

Articles, publications, etc.:

Podcasts and Videos:

From the Communities:

This week I am sharing two new articles. First, the reactions from around the world to the death of Queen Elizabeth II 👑. And secondly a relaxing article where you can admire the bird world of the Pantani della Sicilia sud orientale 🐦 (and admire some pink flamingos in flight).

This is all for today! Let me know if you have any questions or comments and I will be back with more updates in 2 weeks.

Best,

Julia

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

I am back from my time in Germany and it was lovely ✨☀. I hope you all had a good two weeks as well. Now, let’s dive back into some of the amazing things our communities have been up to!

🎷🎶🎺🎵🎸🎼🎻 Special mention ✨: Wikimedia launches contest to find “The Sound of All Human Knowledge” (also available in Indonesian, Arabic, German, Portuguese and Korean). Check out the website, read about it on Diff and find all the handy links you might need in this email. You can also visit the website directly and check out related press (e.g. Mediashotz, the Hustle, It’s Nice That)

Videos and podcasts:

From the WMF:

From the communities:

Let’s finish off this week with my favourite new article and learn about pipe organs and the church organ builder Josef Wiedemann who built around 70 pipe organs in his lifetime and you can see some pretty cool pictures of them in the article!

Have a good week everyone and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Best,

Julia

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a good start to your week. Autumn has firmly arrived in Helsinki and Ruska is in full swing 🍂🍁🍃🍂 As always, lots has been going on so get yourself a nice hot drink of your choice 🍵 and catch up with some of the news.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the Communities:

Finishing off with my favourite new article of the week. This time I travelled to the ⛪ Church of St Giles, Stoke Poges. It has Saxon and Norman roots but is famous for being the inspiration for the 📜 poem, Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard, by Thomas Gray.

Have a lovely week everyone and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Best,

Julia

3 Likes

Happy Monday everyone,

I hope you had a nice weekend 🌞 and are ready to start your week with some cool news from our amazing communities. Grab yourself a nice hot drink 🍵 and dive in.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the Communities:

Finish off with my favourite article(s) of the week. I learned about Luther’s private library 📚 which includes fascinating notes Luther made in books. This is a lot already but I will add this quirky article listing all the motorway stops in Switzerland 🛣, with photos and links!

Have a good week everyone and get in touch with any questions or comments.

Best,

Julia

6 Likes

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a good start to the week. I had a long weekend which was lovely and I am all refreshed for the new week 😎. Now, start your week off with some of the amazing things our communities are doing ✨

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week I learned the interesting history of Kastell Sa’neh 🏰 which has a new article on the German Wikipedia. Go and check it out and explore its roots back to the Roman times.

This is all for this week. If you have any questions or suggestions, please get in touch.

Best,

Julia

4 Likes

Happy start of the week everyone,

Hope you had a lovely and relaxing weekend. Let’s have a cup of tea 🍵 and start off our week with checking out some of the cool things our communities have been up to.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

Pictures! My favourite new article this week has lots of them! Check out all the cool narrow gauge steam locomotives 🚂🛤🚊🚅.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know.

Best,

Julia

4 Likes

this one is great. i do the same thing, myself. thanks for this link!

I’ve been reading horror movie Wikipedia pages for years. Unlike movie reviews, Wikipedia walks you through every story beat, twist and spoiler, with a welcome clinical detachment that takes all the spooky vibes away. I don’t need to know if the movie’s good – I just need to know what was so sinister about Sinister.

Those who have seen Midsommar, for example, will understand the vast gulf between watching That One Part and reading …Wiki’s version of it.

Another good option is The Movie Spoiler, which includes crowdsourced, spoiler-filled recaps of “everything from American Beauty to Zoolander.”

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a good start to your new week. Let’s dive into some of the new things from our Communities.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

My favourite article of the week takes us back to the 17th Century and to Marmaduke (excellent name) Johnson a printer who had a significant impact on establishing publishing in America 📚. Article includes a cool picture of his printed bible in Algonquin.

This is me for today. Have a lovely week and let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Cheers,

Julia

5 Likes

thanks for posting these great items here, @JBrungs_WMF ! truly glad that you’re here. looking forward to further discussions!

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

I hope you had a restful weekend and are having a good start to your Monday. Let’s get a nice hot drink 🍵 and check out all the cool things our communities have done.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

My favourite article of this week comes from German Wikipedia and is about the Triumphzug-Reliefs des Titusbogens in Rome. Some awesome pictures and if you walk through it in the same direction as the figures, you are part of the procession🚶🚶🚶🚶🚶.

This is all for this Monday! Have a good start to your week and let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Best,

Julia

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

It is Monday and why not start off this week with catching up on some of the cool things that our communities have been up to. Get yourself a tea 🍵 and enjoy your start to the week.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

Now, my favourite new article of the week is about the Tomb of Casimir IV Jagiellon, a 15th century late Gothic extravaganza. It even has a curse associated with it! 😲

I hope everyone will have a good week and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Best,

Julia

2 Likes

Happy Monday everyone,

Hope everyone is having a good start to the week ☀. Get yourself a nice hot drink 🍵 and enjoy your start of the week by catching up on some of the cool things our communities have been doing.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

My favourite new articles this week is about the mathematician Susanna Dierolf 🔢. I knew nothing about topological vector space, now I know a tiny but about it. She was also know as ‘Mrs Counterexmple’ due to the way she constructed her arguments.

Have a good start to the week and let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Best,

Julia

2 Likes