Updates from the Communities - weekly newsletter

Hello everyone,

I hope you had a good weekend and are having a lovely start to your week. It is nearly December and lovely and snowy here in Helsinki ⛄❄. So get yourself a nice hot/cold drink and start off with catching up with some of the things our communities have been doing.

Articles, publications, etc.:

Podcasts and Videos:

Things to participate in:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

My favourite article this week is a good old list! Check out these amazing cool category 1 historic places in Auckland 🏘🏠! It includes Grafton Bridge 🌉built in 1910, replacing a less stable bridge that used to have police stationed at each end after rugby matches to ensure rowdy crowds did not cause it to wobble alarmingly by jumping or stamping on it. Better off with a stable new bridge!

This is me for today. Have a good start to the week and let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Best,

Julia

2 Likes

Hi @JBrungs_WMF, thanks for what you are doing. I am into communication and i would love to be a part of it. How can i help?

Hi Semmy,
Thank you so much for the offer. I am always interested in news around our movement you see and would love to hear about it.
Cheers,
Julia

Happy Monday everyone,

Hope you are all having a good start to the week. Get yourself a nice tea🍵 and catch up with some of the cool things around our Communities.

Articles, Publications, etc.:

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week I learned more about the Black Ozarkers of of Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Kansas, which led me to the beautiful art of

Joseph Yoakum 🖼.

Have a good week everyone, and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Cheers,

Julia

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I hope you had a lovely weekend and are ready to start your week with some of the cool things going on in our Communities. It is snowy here in Helsinki ❄ so I am having warm tea, grab your favourite drink and dive in.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

Today I learned about two ethnic groups I did not know about thanks to the WikiProject Ethnic Groups✨ . First I had a look at the history of the Alaskan Creole people and admired some amazing pictures illustrating the article. Then I read more about the French Louisianians and their slow spread from the 18th century onwards to many US regions.

This is all for today. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions and have a lovely week.

Best,

Julia

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

It is Monday and this will be your last update for this year! 🎆✨ I am taking three weeks off around the end of the year and will be back with more exciting updates on the 23rd of January. I wish you all a lovely end of the year and holidays 🌟. But for now, let’s have a look at what our communities have been doing in the last week.

Videos and Podcasts:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

My favourite new article this week is again a list, this time I explored the Swedish operatic sopranos and mezzo-sopranos 🎶👩, and found, for example Hedvig Wigert who performed at the Royal Swedish Opera at its inauguration.

This is it for this year 🎆. As mentioned above, I am off for three weeks so your next update will be on the 23rd of January. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Cheers,

Julia

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I am back from holiday and I hope everyone had a good start to the new year! My break was lovely but now we are already more than half way through January and you have not had an update on all things communities in forever so this one is extra full and extra fun🎉! Catch up with some of the many things our communities got up to in the last month. Enjoy!

Videos and Podcasts:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

Yes, this was a lot. Everyone was busy with all the cool things! Now for something different, I have several interesting new Wiki articles for you. So in the last month I learned about Elayne Viola Jones 👩🎶 who was first Black principal in a major American orchestra, Kakusan-ni 👩🕍 a Japanese Buddhist nun who was the founding abbess of Tōkei-ji temple in Kamakura, noted for its long history as a refuge for women seeking divorce from their husbands, the malahai 🗣 a historical headgear originating in present-day Kazakhstan, and Indonesian paintings 🖼(yes, you guess right, great pictures on this page).

Now we are done for today 😊. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions. I am back to a weekly update from now on, so the next one should not be quite as long.

Have a good week,

Julia

Happy Monday everyone,

I hope you all had a restful weekend and are ready to start your week with some of the many cool things 😎 going on around our communities. Get some tea 🍵 and get started!

Videos and Podcasts:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week I learned about the printer William Bradbury who had, among many others, Charles Dickens in his publishing house 📚📚📚.

That was all for this week. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Cheers,

Julia

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Happy Monday and I hope everyone is having a good start to the week. Go and get yourself a nice hot or cold drink and start this week with catching up on some of the amazing things our communities do.

Videos and Podcasts:

• 🎧 WikipediaPodden with svårswishat
  • 🎧 Between the Brackets with Waldir Pimenta, the co-founder of Wikimedia Portugal, and an active translator of core MediaWiki and extensions
  • 📽 Missed the WikiForHumanRights Information Session 2023? Catch the recording.

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

My favourite article of the week you wonder? Well, this week I enjoyed the beautiful pictures of the Saint Elizabeth of Hungary Church in Paris. Next to its traditional uses, it was also a barn during the French Revolution 🌾.

Have a great week everyone and let me know if you have any questions, suggestions or comments.

Best,

Julia

1 Like

Hello everyone,

It is indeed Monday again and I hope you had a good weekend! Start of this new, beautiful week with diving into some of the cool things around our Communities. Get a tea 🍵 and get started!

Podcasts and videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week, I learned the most not in a new article but in one of the most edited articles of the past week. Go and explore the Talim code in textiles and find out how it was mainly used to weave vertically. ✨

Go and enjoy your Monday. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please let me know.

Best,

Julia

1 Like

Happy start to the week everyone,

It is indeed Monday again and why not instantly make it better by reading up on some of the cool things from our communities! Winter ⛄ is still back in full swing here so a nice warm cup of tea for me 🍵. Get yourself one as well and start your week.

Videos and Podcasts:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

New article time! This week, I learned more about Hamams in Ohrid 🧖‍♀️, two of which are now under heritage protection but neither are used as hamams anymore.

You are all done with your catch up for this week. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please let me know.

Best,

Julia

2 Likes

Happy start to the week,

I hope everyone had a restful weekend and you are looking forward to starting this week off with catching up on more cool community things. The winter in Helsinki seems to last and last so, tea 🍵 for me while reading all the things. Grab yourself a tea or coffee and get started.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

My new article of this week is about the graphic artist Gerda Lissack 👩✏🖼 who designed leaflets against the Nazis and continued to portrait people while being detained in Moringen concentration camp.

This is all for this week. If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, please let me know.

Cheers,

Julia

1 Like

Hello everyone,

A new week, a new message full of exciting news from our communities. Next week, I am on holiday, so no community news but I will be back with more news on Monday the 20th of March. For now, get yourself a nice hot (or cold) drink 🍵and start your week with some exciting news.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week, I learned all about traffic signs in Estonia ⛔🚳🚫, I do like the one with the duck 🦆 the most!

You are all done for today. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please let me know. See you on the 20th of March.

Best,

Julia

5 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am back from holiday and had a lovely week off! As you can imagine, this week’s update is big, so I am not keeping you long, jump in and catch up!

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

Since I was away for a week, here are two articles I learned new things from in the past weeks. I admired the beautiful stained glass ✨of Saint Denys du Saint Sacrement in Paris. I also travelled on the Ferrocarril de Atlamaxac, a narrow-gauge railway 🚂, in Mexico.

All done for today. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Best,

Julia

4 Likes

this looks very interesting!!

Disseminating physics research through a popular open access tool like Wikipedia is important for advancing science. Research shows that journal articles cited in science-related Wikipedia articles receive a boost in citations; language in those Wikipedia articles affects future scientific literature; and traffic to knowledge institution websites (like those of academic journals) increases. Thus, this project helps fulfill the mission to share science with the public, and the work the APS Wiki Scientists do will help people make decisions informed by science.

APS members in our most recent Wiki Scientists course offer a diverse range of expertise including:

• Studio physics
  • Thermoelectricity
  • Extreme condition physics
  • Nanophysics
  • Particle physics
  • History and philosophy of physics
  • Technical writing for congress
  • Instructional design, and more.

They will gather with our Wikipedia experts each week over Zoom. There, they will bring their expertise as physicists to address content gaps on Wikipedia related to energy and the climate. Together, they represent a cohort of scientists who are approaching climate science from many angles. We’re thrilled to see what they will do, both as individual contributors to Wikipedia and as a collective force for climate communication.

Sign up to be part of an upcoming course focused on climate solutions. Or visit partner.wikiedu.org to start building your own Wikipedia Initiative with our support.

2 Likes

@Sm8900 , How about creating a new topic for this? Valuable topics may be buried here.

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone is having a good start to the week and had a good weekend. Let’s get your week started by catching up with some of the cool things our communities have been up to!

Publications, Articles, etc.:

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

My favourite new article this week is all about beautiful bookbindings 📚! Have a look at the cool work of William F. Matthews.

This is all from me for today. If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, please get in touch.

Best,

Julia

Hello everyone,

Nice things continue to happen in our communities, so start this week with reading some of these stories! Quick note, next week Monday is a public holiday in Finland so you will be hearing from me a day later than usual.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week I went on a virtual trip and visited both the Quirinuskirche ⛪ and the Blaue Brücke 🌉 in Germany, admiring their (very different) architecture and history.

All done for today. If you have any questions, suggestions, or comments, please let me know.

Best,

Julia

1 Like

Happy Tuesday everyone,

I am just back from a long and sunny Easter weekend 🐇☀. I hope you had a good start to your week already. Take some time and dive into the many amazing things our communities are doing 🕶. Note: next week I will be out of the office, so your next update will be on the 24th of April.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week I took a dive into the 📚 Bibliography of the United States Constitution, because who doesn’t love a good bibliography?!

All done for today. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions. See you on the 24th.

Best,

Julia

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

Happy start to your week! It is a new week and here we are, getting you all set up by reading some of the amazing things our communities are doing! Enjoy! (note - today without emoji’s until we have figured out the tech problems around them not displaying)

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

New articles of the week! It’s historic building week for me and I learned about Santi Simone e Giuda (Mantua)

which has origins in the 7th century and about bridges in Lübeck!

This is all for today. Comments, questions, or suggestions? Let me know.

Best,

Julia

5 Likes