Updates from the Communities - weekly newsletter

Happy Tuesday everyone,

Yesterday was May Day ❤ so your update is a day late. Now, let’s get started with our updates for this week. Enjoy!

Articles, Publications, etc.:

Videos and podcasts:

Things to participate in:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week I learned about the peace activist and suffragette Bertha Brewster 👩✊ who wrote a short but poignant letter to the editor of the Daily Telegraph in 1913 saying:

Everyone seems to agree upon the necessity of putting a stop to Suffragist outrages, but no-one seems certain how to do so. There are two, only two ways in which this can be done. Both will be effectual.

1. Kill every woman in the United Kingdom.

2. Give women the vote.

Yours truly, Bertha Brewster

This is all from me for today. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Best,

Julia

Happy Tuesday everyone,

Hope you are having a good week. Block some time and :tropical_fish:dive into the community going ons of the week.

:mega: :sparkles: :earth_africa:The WMF launched the Open the Knowledge Journalism Awards where African journalists can self nominate stories that help to expand knowledge about Africa. This will help to further close the knowledge gap we are seeing on our projects. Read more on Diff and the WMF blog.

Articles, publications, etc.:

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

I have several favourite new lists today! It seems last week was list creation week so check out the List of Neo-Latin authors, the List of Acts of the Parliament of the United Kingdom from 1877, and my favourite, the List of Colorado-related lists :memo:.

This is all for you today. Let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or comments.

Best,

Julia

4 Likes

Happy Monday,

Start/end your Monday with taking a look at the amazing things our communities are doing! :tada:

Videos and Podcasts:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week I took a closer look at the ceiling paintings in the Herzogin-Anna-Amalia-Bibliothek :framed_picture: which include the Kurfürst Johann I. von Sachsen with a rather impressive coat :coat:.

This is all for today. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Cheers,

Julia

2 Likes

Happy Monday everyone,

:mirror_ball:Today we have 2 weeks worth of amazing things from our communities, so let’s get started! :mirror_ball:

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

Let’s finish today with Eurovision! :mirror_ball: May is Eurovision month, here in Europe where I am based, so check out this detailed account on German Wikipedia on all things Eurovision 2023 :leftwards_hand::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::sunglasses::green_circle::green_circle::green_circle::rightwards_hand:!

This is all for this week. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please do get in touch.

Best,

Julia

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

It is Monday again and I hope you are all having a great start to your week :sunflower:! Why not make it even better but getting yourself a nice warm drink :tea: and read up on the many things our communities are doing.

:alarm_clock: Have you ever found yourself struggling to explain Wikipedia and its sister projects in a snappy way? Could you do it in under a minute? The latest A Wiki Minute video explains the free knowledge movement and the volunteers who bring it to life. (And if you’re new to these videos, enjoy the entire playlist on YouTube.)

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This brings us to my favorite article of the week. This week I took a closer look at the Gingham dress of Judy Garland :dress: and learned about its history and cultural impact. :high_heel:

Thanks everyone for reading this far and let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions. Have a good week.

Best,

Julia

3 Likes

Happy Monday everyone,

Hope everyone had a nice weekend :sunny:. It is slowly getting warmer up here, in the north, and the nights are pretty short :sunny::sunny::sunny:. Start your week with getting some energy from the amazing community stories our movement has for us. Enjoy :sparkles:

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

My favorite new article of the week :tada:! This week I traveled the 16 hours it took, with the Schmalspurbahn from Jędrzejów to Szczucin :steam_locomotive:.

All done for today. Let me know if you have any comments, questions, or suggestions.

Have a good week everyone,

Julia

1 Like

Happy start to the week,

Hope everyone had a restful weekend :sunny:and you are now ready to catch up with all the cool things our communities are doing! Take some time, and catch up with some of the stories :cherry_blossom:.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

It is getting warmer, even in the north, so I took a virtual swim in the Lakes of Hamburg :swimming_woman::ocean:and it was very refreshing.

This is you for today! If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions get in touch.

Cheers,

Julia

2 Likes

Happy Monday everyone,
Start your week by getting up to date with some of the happenings in our communities. Enjoy!

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week, one new article made me have a closer look at Die Kirchengängerin by Louis Ammy Blanc. It was so popular it already ended up on a cup :cup_with_straw: in the 19th century!

All done for today. If you have any questions, suggestions, or comments, just get in touch.

Cheers,

Julia

Happy Monday everyone,

Hope you had a fun weekend :sunny: and are ready to start your week with some great updates from our communities! Get yourself a nice drink of your choice :tea: and start your week.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

Let’s have a look at something beautiful to finish this update today (Ok I am biased, I am a medievalist and love medieval manuscripts :star_struck:). Dive with me into the beauty of the Goldene Haggada, a medieval manuscript of the 14th century from Catalonia :heart_eyes:.

All done for today, let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Cheers,

Julia

2 Likes

It’s Monday,

Start it off with lots of inspiring and fun stories from our communities. :tada: Get yourself and (ice)tea and get reading :ice_cube::teapot:.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

Now, to my favorite new article of the week, we are staying in the Middle Ages :heart_eyes: and exploring the Epitome rerum Hungarorum, a medieval manuscript from Hungary that tells the history of Hungarians.

All done for today, thank you for reading. If you have any questions, suggestions, or comments, let me know.

Cheers,

Julia

3 Likes

Happy start of the week everyone,

I hope you had a restful and/or exciting weekend and are ready to start this week with catching up on some stories from our communities. This will be the last update until the 14h of August as it is summer here and I am taking my holidays. :sunny::sunflower: But for now, let’s get started.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

New article of the week time! This week I learned about Climate change in Nigeria :sun_behind_small_cloud::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:and the devastating impact it has on nature :seedling:, biodiversity :beetle:, and humans.

This is all for now. As mentioned above, I am on holiday and your Updates from the Communities will return on the 14th of August. Have a good few weeks everyone and let me know if there are any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Cheers,

Julia

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am back from my holidays and had a lovely, relaxing time visiting quite a few lighthouses :sunny:. This week’s update is big! Everyone was super busy and did lots of cool things while I was on holiday! Get a big cup of tea :tea: and get started.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

Form the Communities:

Note - as there is a lot of news from the Communities this week, I tried to structure some of it roughly into regions. Make sure you check them all out!

:earth_africa:Africa related news:

:earth_asia: Asia related news:

1 Like

I went over the character limit so here is the rest of this week’s update:
Europe related news:

:earth_americas:Latin America related news:

Wohooo you made it! Yes it was a lot, but if you are still hungry for exploring new things, check out these two cool new articles. Die Nacht is a painting by Max Beckmann which I vividly remember being in my history school book :framed_picture:, and I also learned about Lead mining in Scotland which dates back to the 13th century.

This is really all for today now! Well done everyone. Let me know if you have any questions, comments or suggestions.

Cheers,

Julia

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

Yes, it is Friday and not Monday :laughing:I have been traveling from Wikimania and did not manage to write your weekly update earlier. But, better late than never and here it is! Next week I am off (recovering from all conferencing) so the next weekly update will be on the 11th of September. Until then, have a good couple of weeks and enjoy the update - check out the :mirror_ball: Wikimania :mirror_ball: section below!

:mirror_ball:Wikimania news​:mirror_ball::

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

Next to all the cool Wikimania articles, my favorite new article on Wikipedia this week is about the book :books: A Plunge Into Space! Look at the cool cover and the society they created, where they have eliminated poverty, reduced the work day to two hours, dispensed with central government and currency, and achieved gender equality. I will put this on my reading list.

This is all for now! Let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or comments.

Cheers,

Julia

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

I am back from my break and now back to a normal posting schedule :grinning:. Today’s update gives you lots of great things! Make sure to check out the Wikimania section which has several, multilingual, volunteer pieces in it, describing their experience at Wikimania. :star_struck:

Videos and podcasts:

:partying_face::star2: Some more Wikimania content :partying_face::star2::

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

To close us off today, my favorite new article is about Allia Potestas, a freed slave woman. The text freeing her survives to our days! Go and check it out (and test your Latin skills :wink:).

This is all for today. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Until next week,

Julia

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

It is indeed Monday again and I hope everyone had a good weekend :sunflower:. Start your week with reading up on things that happen in our amazing communities during the last weeks. Lots of different things you can take part in are coming up so check them out!

Videos and Podcasts:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

Yes, it is time for my favorite new article of the week. This week I learned about the Faraway Tsardom, a realm of Old East Slavic literature into which the hero falls or is separated from the ordinary world by impenetrable dense forests, abysses, seas or other obstacles :woman_mage::magic_wand::evergreen_tree:.

Now we are all done for today. Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.

Best,

Julia

3 Likes

Hi all,

I hope everyone had a nice weekend :sunny::sunflower: and is ready to start the week with some awesome news on all the cool things that are happening in our communities! Many things to participate in around the world at the moment, so check out if there is something local to you happening.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

This week, I learned more about Sybil Penn :female_sign: who was a teacher to a king and lady of the bedchamber :bed:.

All done for today. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions. Have a lovely week everyone,

Julia

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

It has become very autumnal, up here in the north, where I am :fallen_leaf: and it is a lovely time of the year! I hope you all are having a good start to the week. Make it even better by reading some inspiring community stories :tulip:.

Podcasts and Videos:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

With all the news for today done, let’s go and dive into a new Wikipedia article. This week I have for you a long long list of all animated American television series :tv: - plenty to catch up on next weekend it seems.

Have a good week everyone and let me know if you have any questions, comments or suggestions.

Best,

Julia

1 Like

This is an article and event from 2021 :wink:

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I am back from a few days off. Hope you all had a good start to the week and are ready to dive into two weeks of fun community stories. Enjoy!

Videos and Podcasts:

From the WMF:

From the Communities:

My favorite new article this week is about Stadtbibliothek Füssen because who doesn’t love a library📚?! This one is in the old premises of a monastery.

All done for today. Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or comments.

Best,

Julia

1 Like