「ウィキペディアは売り物ではありません」にも対処願います。
Kizhiyaさんがすでに指摘されている点ですが、不適切な翻訳だという認識になってないのかもしれません。

Twitter上では、
「ウィキペディアに怒られた」
「意味がわからない」
「誤訳を指摘する人がいないのか」
と困惑する声が上がっています。

3 Likes

興味半分で失礼なのですが、財団には利用者=寄付者の動向を見つめるセクションはないのですか? あるいはせめて寄付金を話題した全部署の発信物をまとめて保存し、ときどき読み直して改善に役立てるとかしませんか? 法務部なのか広報なのか? Language Team の業務内容に入ってないと考えますが、いかが? 部署同士の連絡はどうなっているんだろう? 争いの種になるのを避けるには発信の前に見直す、それを担当する部署がないなら驚きです。

大げさな話ではなく、翻訳って、たがいの文化を温かくつなぐものと理解します。違いは違いで良い。だから違いがある点をこうやって、確認できたことは財産になります。

日本文化に限らず、SNSの波及力はサンフランシスコなら鋭敏に感じていないのかなぁ。

もうひとつ、日本の市民社会は寄付文化の根が浅く、またお金に関して潔癖なところもあります。私は風評に弱いので、こういう事例はウィキのボランティアをしていることが少しだけ嫌になります。新しい参加者を誘うときに、このメールの言い訳をしなきゃならないと思うのも気が重いです。日本語話者の皆さんなら、なんと説明しますか?

ぜひ、この経験を一回だけの事件として処理しないで、何かに役立てたいですね。お金を人に払ってもらうって、ほんと難しい。

3 Likes

@Afaz さん、@JBrungs_WMF さん
こんにちは、

土日なので、財団スタッフは休みかもしれません。

私や春春眠眠さんが日本語文への意見を求められたといっても、たまたまこのフォーラムにいたから聞かれただけで、私たちの意見はさほど重視されなかったでしょう。広告コピーは普通の文とは異なりますし、広告会社に依頼しているにしても、まさか日本語が、日本人にとってあれほど変だとは想像していなかったのだと思います。

英語のキャッチコピーでの「目を引く」パターンと「それを日本語に翻訳したとき」に「現地の日本人にどう映るか」は、やはりかなりの違いがあるでしょう。

募金チームの方々は、次回以降、募金広告を打つ時、広告チームの翻訳者の翻訳に疑問があるならば、ここでも良いですし井戸端で聞いてくださっても良いのではないでしょうか。

また今回は、日本語ネイティブで英語もおできになるスタッフの@JNakayama-WMF さんに対応に参加していただけると、こちらも安心です。(部署が違うとは思いますが)

そして、Juliaさんやチームの皆さんを責めているわけではないことをご理解ください。おそらくjawpコミュニティの人たちは、ウィキペディアや財団の「日本での信用」を心配しているのだと思います。

Nakayama さんには、jawpコミュニティの「お知らせ」あたりで結果を教えてくださると、皆さん安心するでしょう。よろしくお願い申しあげます。

4 Likes

@Afaz さん @Omotecho さん @Kizhiya さん

こちらの件、更に詳しくご説明いただき有難うございます。
使われている言葉遣いにより、ウィキペディアのイメージにマイナスになっているだけではなく、それがみなさんの活動にも悪影響を及ぼしているということは非常に重要なポイントですね。

同じ文言に対して言語や地域が異なると、単に意味が伝わらないだけではなく、影響や受け止め方が随分と違ってくること、そしてこのような影響には連鎖が伴うことを担当部署にも理解してもらえるよう引き続き説明してまります。

「すぐに全てが解決」とはなかなかいかないかと思いますが、このようにみなさんからのご意見をいただき、キャッチボールを継続しながら改善策を導き出していくことは財団にとっても非常に大切なことだと思います。これからも率直なご意見をお聞かせいただけると大変有難いです。

7 Likes

Dear all,

I would like to address the recent feedback and concerns raised regarding the fundraising email that was sent to donors in Japan last week.

Firstly, I want to acknowledge that the subject line “もう、たくさんです” has not been well received by many of you here on this forum. Although the email campaign is now over, we have already started working on a different subject line for the next campaign.

The team aims to maintain a positive relationship with our donors and part of this is respecting their time, which is why we send fewer emails per year than many other non-profit organizations. We also want to ensure that emails effectively raise money for our movement, which is why we test email subject lines in many countries to find the most engaging content with minimal disruption to donors and readers.

The team works with two professional Japanese translators to ensure the quality and accuracy of our content. However, we always welcome feedback and insights from our community members, and we appreciate your input in helping improve the quality of fundraising messages.

With regards to feedback on the banner content, especially the phrase ‘Wikipedia is not for sale’, we are now testing alternatives including some that were suggested by volunteers. The idea of this message originated from a message that Wikipedia founder, Jimmy Wales, wrote for the December English banner campaign and was translated for the Japan campaign. We hear the feedback on the translation of that message not resonating with some of you. Thank you to those who provided valuable input on alternative messages that the team is trying out in banners. You might still see the old phrase around for a bit due to our testing mechanisms. If you would like to suggest phrases to be used in banners, please add them as a reply and I will pass them on to the team.

Once again, thank you for your ideas and for all you do to contribute to the project. Please do not hesitate to reply to this message or contact me directly at jbrungs at wikimedia dot org if you have further input. I am also happy to host a post-campaign community call (we hosted a pre-campaign one in February), let me know if there is an interest in this.

Best,
Julia

4 Likes

こんにちは、Julia

私たちの反応について、忙しいなか、説明してくれてありがとう。お仕事お疲れさまです。

私はあなたに私の考えをいくつかお話ししたいと思います。

1. 「もう、たくさんです」を良くない表現だと感じているのは、このフォーラムの数人だけではありません。以下はTwitterの投稿です。

https://twitter.com/search?q=もう、たくさんです ウィキペディア&src=typed_query

2.今回は、「メールの件名」や「広告」の宣伝文句に、「怒りや不機嫌さ」を示す文言を使用したのが問題だったと思います。少なくとも日本では、そのメールを受け取った人自身が、その怒りをぶつけられたように感じます。

感情を表す語でも、「感謝」は良いですが、「怒り」や「不機嫌」を不特定多数に送るのは、日本ではかなり異様な行為です。

私が言っていることが、あなたにうまく通じることを願っています。

よろしくお願い申し上げます。

例: 「ウィキペディアを支えてください」「ウィキペディアへの寄付のお願い」といった件名のほうが良いと思います。 :grinning:

Kizhiya

3 Likes

Let me translate some of the Twitter reactions.

The donation request emails from Wikipedia are written in a completely spam-like style, which is so scary that I can’t even open them. Maybe the translation is bad?

When I received an email from Jimmy and thought “what spam is this lol”, it turned out to be a donation request from Wikipedia.

I get startled every time I see the headline “もう、たくさんです” in the donation request emails from Wikipedia. Is there no one among the officials to point this out?

The title of the donation request email from Wikipedia looks like nothing but spam email. Can’t they do something about it?

It seems that if you donate to Wikipedia, you receive an email with the title “もう、たくさんです” I wonder what English could be translated to make such a terrible phrase…

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your further feedback and clarifications.
I have passed this on to the team as well. As mentioned, we are working on new subject lines for next years campaign and I will share the draft emails with you all in advance.
Best, Julia

3 Likes

Thank you for considering our thoughts. If you need it, please feel free to email us. We are happy to help you with your work.

It is my account on Meta-Wiki.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Kizhiya

@Syunsyunminmin @Afaz @Omotecho
They can use further better English than me.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,
Some of you mentioned that you are interested in helping us review our messaging content before our next Japanese campaign (this will be in the next financial year). We would like to update our internal contact lists with this data so if you are interested to get involved, please email cdenes @ wikimedia . org and me (jbrungs @ wikimedia . org).

Thank you so much in advance for your willingness to help.
Best wishes,
Julia

Hello,
It is me again :slight_smile: I just wanted to share with you a banner which was written by @Kizhiya. You can find it here and we are currently running it as part of the campaign. This is a test banner, which means we are testing it against different other messaging and we might adapt the message of this banner in the future.
Thank you @Kizhiya for sharing this banner messaging with us.
Best,
Julia

6 Likes

「¥300→¥1,000」になった理由はあったりしますか?

2 Likes

こんにちは、Julia,
test bannerを作ってくれてありがとう!
私はWMFに、私たちの意見を受け入れてもらえると思っていなかったので、とても嬉しいです。あなた方の柔軟さに感謝します。
テストで良い結果が出ることを願っています。

@Syunsyunminmin さん
いままでの募金額が少ないのでしょうか?

Kizhiya

2 Likes

今までのバナーでは300円になっていた気がします。

1 Like

300円でしたね。これは私の想像ですが、おすすめの寄付金額やその他いろいろな差をつくって、何が効果的なのか調べておられるのではないでしょうか。おすすめ寄付金額が10,000円だったりすると、私は見て見ぬふりをします。

1 Like

テストバナーということなので、そうなのかもしれないですね。

2 Likes

Hi all,
Yes, we do test different amounts in banners hence you saw 1000 instead of 300 in the one I linked.
Best,
Julia

3 Likes

WMFの年次計画の説明(メタでまとめているようです)とzoomでの会話タイムがあるそうです。
zoomでの会議は日本時間4月30日15:00から、日本語通訳つき、
顔出ししなくて聞いているだけでもOKだそうです。財団がどうやって回っているのか謎なので、できれば参加してみるつもりです。

WMF2023-2024年次計画およびzoomでの会話時間

3 Likes

@Kizhiya さん、こちらご紹介くださり有難うございます。

会話時間はGWにつながる週末のタイミングで恐縮ですが、お時間がありましたら是非ご参加ください。みなさんの編集作業にも関連する製品や技術を中心に組み立てていることが当年次計画の一つの特徴といえるかと思います。年次計画案の日本語訳も進んでおりますのでぜひご覧ください。

1 Like