How has the Freedom of Panorama influenced your contribution to the Wikimedia projects?

The topic of Freedom of Panorama came up regularly, especially from Wikimedians working on sharing visual contributions at Wikimedia Commons. Several countries (i.e. France, Indonesia, most ESEAP countries) does not have this right embedded within their national copyright legislation, which presented a major barrier for Wikimedians from those countries to share their works on Commons (and by large, all other Wikimedia projects). Responding to this, several Wikimedia affiliates, organisations, and individuals have advocated in their own way to work around FoP’s rigidity.

It would be really good to learn from each other about how the FoP has influenced or impacted the way to contribute to the Wikimedia projects – after all, “developing local capacity for advocacy for legal and regulatory frameworks our communities need to make our projects thrive” is a Movement Strategy recommendation. Do you have any stories, insights, or experiences that you think could benefit the Wikimedia movement as a whole?

For start, I’m going to invite the people I do know working around FoP or affiliated to teams/groups working on that: @Bobbyshabangu @Aced @FPutz_WMF. Feel free to invite others!

3 Likes

The absence of law of freedom of panorama in Indonesia is a nightmare for Wikimedians who are working in content improvements and discourage users to upload images of buildings in Indonesia to Commons. There are some users who are previously active in uploading those images and get deleted by Commons’ admins, saying that the buildings are copyrighted, and they need to retrieve the release rights from the architect.

The representative of Directorate General of Intellectual Property, Ministry of Law and Human Rights, approved that this issue should be resolved, and they are open for discussion. I am excited to hear from community members of other countries on how they address this matter, if any. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Ramzy, for starting the conversation!

4 Likes

Melihat drama yang korbannya cukup banyak dari penjuru dunia ini, saya sudah mengingatkan terutama semenjak kasus seni rupa publik. Sebuah patung di Jakarta dijadikan sebuah karya turunan menjadi sebuah logo, yang saya yakin itu hanya karya turunan biasa.

Proyek-proyek Wikimedia sesuai prinsip hukum mewajibkan distribusi tanpa batas, pembuatan turunan, dan penggunaan komersial. Namun, dengan absennya kebijakan mengenai Derivative Work dan Freedom of Panorama akan menghasilkan sebuah celah yang dapat diakses oleh arsitek atau pemahat untuk menganggap bahwa memotret atau melukis patung dianggap melanggar hak cipta atau bahkan mencuri.

Bahkan saya sudah mencoba menyosialisasikan ini di Facebook khususnya kepada forum pengguna kamera Canon (saya pengguna kamera Canon) dan juga forum railfans. Namun sangat disayangkan, mereka seolah-olah tidak mau mendengarkan saya. Hal ini mungkin dikarenakan konsep itu masih asing, baru, atau bahkan tidak pernah diakui sama sekali oleh mayoritas fotografer.

Di samping persoalan tersebut, saya juga mengingatkan bahwa pelanggaran hak cipta itu delik aduan, tetapi di negara lain tidak ada mekanisme pembedaan delik aduan dan delik biasa.

Terima kasih sudah memberi kesempatan untuk berdiskusi.

2 Likes

Jika saya boleh tahu, apakah “rasa asing” itu disebabkan karena ketiadaan ketentuan kebebasan panorama dalam undang-undang sehingga mereka masih awam mengenai hal itu, atau mereka belum mendapat wawasan mengenai ketentuan hak cipta (secara umum)?

Hal ini sepertinya perlu kita ambil langkah-langkah untuk menyosialisasikan ketentuan hak cipta kepada para fotografer, seperti yang Wikimedia Indonesia coba lakukan dengan ketentuan kebebasan panorama, sehingga fotografer di Indonesia lebih melek tentang undang-undang hak cipta. :smiley:

1 Like

Betul sekali pak, fotografer Indonesia masih awam dengan hal semacam ini, bahkan sampai mereka menolak untuk mengetahui hal-hal yang menurut saya sangat mempengaruhi masa depan mereka sendiri. Mereka merasa “aman” untuk menjual foto-foto mereka di muka umum karena mereka yakin “arsitek atau pematung tidak akan tahu, dan tak akan keberatan foto itu akan dijual”, misalnya.

Catatan: forum fotografer ini kebanyakan berbagi foto model dan sesekali ada yang berbagi foto bangunan atau landscape. Mereka barangkali menjual foto model yang dapat saja memuat patung atau bangunan berhak cipta.

Terima kasih banyak atas komentar Anda, @Rachmat04 dan @RaFaDa20631. Ini pembicaraan menarik pada topik yang benar-benar berpengaruh bagi kontribusi banyak pengguna Wikimedia.

Saya tertarik dengan model advokasi yang dijalankan oleh Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU di negara-negara Eropa, yaitu salah satunya melakukan lobi dan advokasi kepada lembaga negara dan multinasional untuk mengubah kebijakan publik yang berdampak pada kerja-kerja sukarela di Wikimedia. Tentunya ini akan memerlukan kerja sama dari pihak-pihak yang berkepentingan seperti mitra lokal, Creative Commons, dan lain sebagainya. Menurut Anda, apakah ini satu opsi yang perlu dieksplorasi untuk mengubah ketentuan FOP agar dapat lebih menguntungkan?

Saya juga tertarik dengan poin ini:

Ada gagasan yang terkait dari @AppleRingo777 untuk melakukan pelatihan atau lokakarya untuk hal semacam ini. Menurut Anda, apakah ini dapat membantu?

Ditunggu juga komentar dan pemikiran dari yang lain :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me personally, many photos I uploaded for buildings in Dubai were deleted years after I uploaded them to commons, hundreds of photos are locked in my cell phone because I am not encouraged to uploaded, I can say that I really don’t understand the rules of Freedom of Panorama well.

this question seems important. can we get some input on this? thanks.

As far as I know, there has been no movement-wide consultation in the topic of FoP.

There was a consultation by the European Commission back in 2016 on “the role of publishers in the copyright value chain and on the ‘panorama exception’”, and FKAGEU, the Foundation and Wikimedia Deutschland sent their respective responses.

Pinging folks whose works are within this alley from Global Advocacy and newly-minted board of Wikimedia Europe who would know better about this issue: @FPutz_WMF @MNadzikiewicz_WMF @Capucine-Marin_Dubroca-Voisin @GoEThe

1 Like

I LOVE THIS THREAD! We’re running a session at the CEE conference around how to start an FoP campaign (details here). The WMF Global Advocacy team is also exploring launching a series of calls and workshops around copyright advocacy in 2023. If there’s interest or ideas, please comment!

Here are some resources for those interested:

1 Like

Thanks @RamzyM_WMF for the tag!

SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES WITH FREEDOM OF PANORAMA

The Global Advocacy team, alongside others, is launching a mapping. We want to compile the public policy advocacy initiatives that affiliates and community members have pursued for governments to preserve or change copyright policies, including Freedom of Panorama.

If you have been involved in a campaign for government to preserve or change copyright policies please get in touch with me (fputz@wikimedia.org). More information about the project is in this blog post: Help Wikimedia Map Your Efforts to Improve Copyright! – Diff

Hope to hear from you!

2 Likes

thanks for your reply above, @RamzyM_WMF .

My startup community, Pilipinas Panorama Community (PPC) has taken on the subject of FoP as a flagship advocacy.

I heard! Are you open for a 30-45 minute call sometime between now and April 25? It would be great to learn more about this.

Thanks,
Ziski

1 Like