By 2030 what is one problem facing African volunteers you wish to have solved or helped solve and why?

There are several challenges facing African volunteers. Through implementation of Movement Strategy initiatives, we can find solutions to these problems. What is one problem facing African volunteers you wish to have solved or helped solve by 2030 and why?

7 Likes

مرحبًا، أجد ان أهم التحديات هي العقبات القانونية التي تعترض المتطوعين في أداء مهامهم (الاعتراف بهم كمجموعة عمل وحرية التجمع مثلًا)
عدم إمكانية تلقي و/أوتوزيع المنح

2 Likes

Nsogbụ gbasara ‘notability criteria’. Anyị ma ndị ama ama na mpaghara Afrịka; ọ bụghị onye si ebe ọzọ ga-agwa anyị onye ama ama maọbụ onye na-amaghị. Ihe ọzọ bụkwa ‘IP block’ biko ha kwụsị ihe ahụ maka na ọ na-akpagbu anyị karịsịa.

5 Likes

Nke a bu eziokwu, ka I kwuru. Ewepu ya, o ga-enyere anyi aka na edemede ufodu di mkpa.
Ndewo

3 Likes

Gaskiya, akwai ƙalubale da dama da suke damun ƴan Afirka masu taimakawa a Wikimedia. Babbar matsala ta farko itace, rashin ƙwarewa da fahimtar manhajojin Wikimedia yadda yakamata, na biyu akwai ƙarancin samun goyon baya daga ƴan’uwansu na Afirka, na uku akwai ƙarancin wadatar abubuwan masarufi da zasu basu damar shiga da gudanar da ayyukan su yadda yakamata, kamar rashin samun kaiwa ga intanet a yawancin lokuta, matsalar kulle na’urar su daga yin aikace aikace a manhajojin da dai sauransu.

5 Likes

One of the challenges Africa faces in the Wikimedia movement is the huge skill gaps. Solving it would help ensure that the content gaps on African topics are closed faster and knowledge is readily available the continent.

7 Likes

**There are several challenges facing African volunteers. **
**-There is a gap in skills about Wikipedia. **
Too much to learn, lack of many trainers of Trainers, and continuous capacity building for volunteers.
-

3 Likes

I support this. The skills gap is a huge gap that can be addressed with continuous capacity building.

1 Like

مرحبًا @Cmwaura ما هي المهارات الأكثر طلبًا وغير متوفرة في المجتمع الأفريقي تحياتي

1 Like

Skill Gap is one and I believe the Let’s connect and other initiatives in the movement are helping to bridge that gap by encouraging skill sharing. The responsibility is now on Africans to go for it and take advantage of it.

*Another problem is Lack of retention: we have lots of people being trained through the various activities and campaigns that are being organized, but most people don’t stay for numerous reasons such as IP Block issues, expensive internet costs to continuously stay engaged and connected as a volunteer since most of what we do requires internet.

We also lack capacity: Most of the volunteer organizers have their existing jobs and it becomes difficult to continuously attend to their new recruits. Continues engagements. and support is crucial because as a new volunteer you cannot learn everything from just one training event. Secondly, as the community grows the time required for community engagement increases how do we bridge that gap in order to ensure that organizers don’t break down in that process, once new comments done get the right attention they fall off and it almost becomes like effort invested to recruiting becomes wasted if all the people you recruit ends up not staying. We need tailor-made strategies for retention in the region.

9 Likes

@Ruby_D-Brown
On Skills Gap I totally agree with you. We need also to have people who understand the African context to be training more volunteers.
Retention this has happened to me in one of my projects. Its a bit difficult for volunteers to stay. High internet costs made most of my volunteers shy away from continuously engaging on Wikipedia.
Lack of Capacity From experience it can be overwhelming when you had an 8-5 job trying to keep up with WMF projects. Following up on new recruits becomes difficult. For Sure new strategies that would suit us are needed.

3 Likes

@Nehaoua @Tochiprecious @Ngostary2k @Em-mustapha @Timmylegend @Cmwaura @Ruby_D-Brown There is a saying that before you can find solutions to any problem, you need to start by identifying the problem and talking about it. Do you agree with this saying? And do you think we need to have more discussions together about these challenges you have raised?

4 Likes

In my opinion, absolutely yes.

1 Like

بكل تأكيد. فمن جهتي سأقوم بدراسة حول المهارات في المجتمع العربي الذي جزء منه أفريقي . ولذا طرحت السؤال لتُنيري دربي

4 Likes

@Zuz_WMF Yes, I think we need to have more discussions about it, lets’s hear from the various organizers within the continent and understand their challenges in a more detailed manner. Also, more in-depth research if possible. Africa is one of the potential growth areas of the movement, if we want the right result we need to understand the context and we can be able to design a tailor-made solution.

3 Likes

Absolutely, we need to start with that. I don’t think this challenges are discussed well enough in African communities.

3 Likes

It’s about time for new strategies to be implemented.

1 Like

@Cmwaura @Tochiprecious @Ruby_D-Brown @Timmylegend @Nehaoua Really good points raised. Comparing this platform to meta and other discussion channels on Telegram, where should we start having such discussions?

1 Like

If you (any of you) had to name only one strategic initiative, which one would it be? See What piece of Movement Strategy are you most excited about?

1 Like

I prefer here to Meta and Telegram. I understand things better here.

4 Likes