By 2030 what is one problem facing African volunteers you wish to have solved or helped solve and why?

I’m more excited about 6. Invest in skills and leadership development. When we do this, it helps in sustaining the movement.

4 Likes

لم أشارك من قبل في أي نقاش مثلما أشارك فيه الآن، فمعظم الوقت أتابع ما يحصل في تلغرام لكنني أجد نفسي عاجزا عن المشاركة لعقبة اللغة، أما عن الميتا فالنقاش فيها يشبه الكابوس الحقيقي

4 Likes

Nke mbụ: E nwere ọtụtụ ndị ama ama na mba Afrika mana ọdịghị onye na-anụ maka ha
Nke abụọ : Anyị na-enwe mmekpa aha site na mgbochi ana egbochi nke a kpọrọ IP Aderesi
Nke atọ: Abia n’ihe gbasara ị họta ndị isi nakwa usoru ọchịchị ọ ga amasị anyị ịhọọrọ ndị mba Africa

2 Likes

The challenges are enormous.

In a nutshell, Notability, skills gap, IP blocking, lost volunteering drive, retention of editors, and clearcut leadership direction are some of the challenges being faced by the African community.

5 Likes

By 2030, There should be more African admins to review articles on Wikipedia. They understand the dilemma we face in the region regarding referencing.

4 Likes

Some of the major problems facing African can be highlighted below:

1. Skills and Technical
  2. Lack of Good Mentorship
  3. Communication Gaps
    Some of possibles solutions that can address the problems are:
  4. Digital literacy programmes
  5. More Fellowships campaigns
  6. Free access to languages translators for easy understanding and utilizations. @Zuz_WMF
4 Likes

We have so many challenges affecting African contributions on Wikimedia projects.

1. IP blocking, this has made contributions very difficult especially from newcomers
  2. Administrators and checkusers have frustrated many people from contributing. They claim to be protecting Wikipedia but instead they frustrate newcomers. When you try to explain to them, they sometimes just act like you are not there. We need more administrators from the african community who understands our perculiarity
    3 Funding is another issue for volunteers to keep contributing.
4 Likes

Yes, I actually agreed with your points, my suggestion too is for foundation to equally consider our regions by giving us more mentorship as Africa countries members since we are in the process od developing compare to other developed regions…

2 Likes

Administrators and checkusers have frustrated many people from contributing

@Semmy1960, can you please say more about the frustration you have seen administrators and checkusers cause? For example, are you referring to them reverting edits African contributors are making? Do you see them deleting new articles African contributors are attempting to create? Something else?

And by the way, hi! I’m Peter. I work at the Wikimedia Foundation on a team that will soon be focused on making improvements to Wikipedia’s software that will, ideally, cause newcomers from Africa feel more welcomed and empowered to contribute to Wikipedia :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They understand the dilemma we face in the region regarding referencing.

hi @Sunkanmi12!

Can you please say more about the “dilemma” you are referring to above? What issues do you see contributors from Africa running into around referencing and how do you see Wikipedia admins responding to the contributions you/people from Africa are trying to make?

By the way, I’m Peter :wave:t3: I work at the Wikimedia Foundation on a team that will soon be focused on making changes to Wikipedia’s software that will, ideally, cause people from Africa to feel more welcomed and empowered to contribute.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: How to resolve the problem of IP and user blocks in African editathons

Hi, several posts on this topic mention the problem of IP blocks during editathons among other issues. Now you can discuss this problem in detail on How to resolve the problem of IP and user blocks in African editathons.

مرحباً عادل، أعتقد أنه يجب التوضيح أكثر، مثل مصدر العقبات القانونية، وسبب عدم إمكانية تلقي المنح؟

في بلدي حاليا لا يُمكنك عمل تجمع دون ترخيص وهو صعب المنال، كما انا تلقي المنح من الخارج شبه ممنوع (ممنوع بتاتا للجمعيات) وتحت رقابة إن كانت للأشخاص ، كما لا يُمكن توزيعها خارج البلاد