How to translate the forum interface

Pozdrav @Aca! Dobro došao na Forum i hvala na komentarima.
Slažem se da prevod interfejsa na srpski (i bosanski) nije preterano dobar, dok lokalizacija na hrvatski za sada ne postoji. Srećom, Crowdin omogućava korisnicima da na jednostavan način “poprave” postojeće i dodaju nove prevode UI.
Detaljna objašnjenja data su u prvoj objavi na ovoj temi.

1 Like

Hi @Aca , thanks for the feedback.
The translation is provided by volunteers on the Discourse translation platform Crowdin here: https://discourse.crowdin.com/discourse/sr
Currently, it is only 13% completed. Anyone can step in and contribute to it and fix the wrong one.
Pinging @BPipal_WMF

2 Likes
  1. Пропоную транслітерувати «Top» українською як «Топ». Або перекласти, якщо це доречно, – наприклад, «Найпопулярніші» або «Найбільше взаємодій».

2. Відсутнє узгодження іменників у сполученні із числівником. Зокрема, із числівником 12 має бути «відповідей»;
    Screenshot 2022-05-28 at 06.25.45

3. У дужках закінчення для жіночого роду має бути «–ла».
    Screenshot 2022-05-28 at 06.19.58

4. Потрібно узгодити прикметники у роді й числі з іменником «повідомлення». Тому – не «новий», а «нове».
    Screenshot 2022-05-28 at 06.21.21

5. Пропоную такий варіант перекладу:
    «Більше не стежити за цими темами та не враховувати їх як непрочитані». Також краще вжити скасувати замість «Відкинути»

1. Замінити на сполучник «та» чи «і» замість російського «и». Також звернути увагу на узгодження числівника із іменником. Має бути «2 прочитані та 9 нових».

2. Фільтри пошуку.

1. Замість «Обмежити пошук по темам/повідомленням…» на «Обмежити пошук за темами/повідомленнями…». Замість «Збігам в заголовку» – «За збігами у заголовку».

2. Замінити на:
    – «У яких я писав(-ла)»
    – «Які я створив(-ла)»
    – «Які я відстежую» замість «…стежу» (this is the case of “I’m tracking”)

3. «включити зображення» замінити на «Включно із зображеннями». Також «Включно» має бути з великої літери

4. Замінити:
    – «будь-який» на «будь-яка»
    – «заархівувана» на «заархівована»
    – «зез відповідей» на «Містить лише одного(у) користувача(ку)». This is for “Contain a single user”.
    – “are solved” на «вирішені» і, відповідно, “are unsolved” на «не вирішені».

1. У переліку сповіщень для повідомлення.
    – «Слідкувати» замінити на «Спостерігати» (this is for “Watching”)

1. Nice Reply.

Перекласти “Nice Reply” як «Добра відповідь». А текст нижче: «Ви отримуєте цей значок, коли ваша відповідь набирає 10 вподобань. Ваша відповідь вразила спільноту та посприяла розвитку розмови».

Перекласти коментар праворуч, що зараз відображений російською, на «Ви можете отримати її кілька разів».

1. У першому реченні змінити на таке: «Почніть створювати закладки для повідомлень…»

Screenshot 2022-05-30 at 23.20.33

2 Likes

Hi @Nastjaiv, many thanks for your detailed overview :clap:t5: :clap:t2: :clap:This can be super helpful for those volunteers who want to improve the Ukrainian translation on Crowdin. It is now 78% complete. Please feel free to add your translation on Crowdin.

1 Like

الترجمة التي هي متاحة حاليا فقط نحو لغة الواجهة

Get it! Thanks for explaining :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

Just to clarify this (from my translation experience so far)… while there are 148 webpages in the translation interface, there are around 8,000 strings of texts to translate. The word count is definitely much more (that’s probably the 50K you mean?).

@SOyeyele_WMF, yep, around 50K messages (words). Indeed 148 pages. A tip would be to start translating frontend messages located in the client.yml files. You just need to click on each client.yml file and translate them.
Thanks

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Forum interface available in Igbo language

On this page you can monitor the progress in the translation of each language and see the exact number of remaining words.

I have a question. It appears that the number of languages available on the UI dropdown list is smaller than the actual number of translated languages. What is a trigger/threshold (if there is any) for a language to appear on the UI list? From what I can see, it’s certainly not the % of the translated strings, nor the % of approved translations.

• Examples include Macedonian (25% completed; absent), Croatian (42% completed; absent), Albanian (24% completed; available), Serbian (13% completed; available).
2 Likes

Hi @BPipal_WMF thanks for pointing this out. I think they are not available in the dropdown because the translations are not yet merged by Discourse. Please, let me investigate deeper this and come back to you.
Thanks

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Forum interface available in Igbo language

Hi @BPipal_WMF , confirming that this is because, Discourse hasn’t yet merged them. I’ve asked the question in their forum. For new languages, they merge the translation from crowdin once it reaches around 50% and from there, new translated messages are merged on a weekly basis.

You may ask, why some languages like Serbian
or Albanian with less than 50% of their translations completed, are available in the interface?

The thing is I don’t know when those languages have been merged for the first time. Probably a while ago and since new words have been added since then, it lowers the percentage over the time. Last week, I have completed french translation to 100%. Right now it is less than 100% because new strings have been added.