What kind of leadership would you like to see (or see more) in your community?

, ,

for me, the main question is not “what type of leadership do I want to see”. rather the question, what kind of roles do I want to see made available, for people who themselves would like to step up and provide some leadership.

for myself, I have been trying strenuously to find some platform, or venue, or any community forum at all, where I could find some ability to express my owwn concerns, ideas, goals, and recommendations, to help to develop the community and WMF efforts in a positive way.

this forum is absolutely the first time I have been given a full platform and full opening to do so. at the Wikipedia village pump, very often the ones who claim to call the loudest for real leadership, are often the first ones to shout down anyone who actually tries to do so. while on the other hand the WMF website is simply a dense, very hard-to-navigate thicket filled with underbrush.

this forum is not necessarily perfect, but i have never had any other venue where I could present my ideas, in a forthright, substantive, and focused manner, and actually get a reply, in a clear manner, and with being granted the same respect and acknowledgment that I seek to offer to others. and remember, I have been an editor for over 15 years.

so in short, I grealty appreciate tjhis forum, and yes, I see it as a positive soilution to many of the problems expressed elsewhere. this forum is not a perfect solution, since nothing is; however, I do very much see it as a very positive resource. thanks!

and to answer the initial question more fully, the type of communication, creativity, and collaborative environment fostered here at this forum, exactly typifies the type of leadership that I would like to seee more broadly, within and across the entire editing community which is the home and environment for all of us. bravo, to all of those participating here. thanks!!

4 Likes