Sub-saharan Africa Strategic Talk

Yego , ibi biraduha ikizere cya abanyafurica ba ahazaza mu kongerera umubara wa aba volunteer no kongera ubumenyi bwacu .

1 Like

Yes, I have read this content. It is great to know that over the years support and funding for the Middle East and the African Region have increased and there are a lot of contributions coming from the Middle East and African region. I also do look forward to see more growth in the Middle East and African region in a few years to come.

1 Like

Hi @Zuz_WMF, it’s always refreshing to learn about the progress in Sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East about funding. I just believe active Wikipedia editing needs to increase because that is one of the challenges we are finding it hard solving.

2 Likes

In case any of you missed this, @Bobbyshabangu announced on various channels that the Wiki Indaba Steering Committee is looking for two volunteers to join the committee. If you are passionate about African community activation and development, providing support to events/ conference planning and administration, you can apply here. Deadline to apply is August 5, 2022.

1 Like

Murakoze cyane

We invite your reflections and questions at any time on Meta . (Read more on Diff)

@Mwintirew @Kinvidia @Owula_kpakpo @Timmylegend @Tochiprecious @Ruby_D-Brown @Joris_Darlington_Quarshie @Oby_Ezeilo @Din-nani1 The Wikimedian-In-Residence for the African Knowledge Initiative has been announced. The Africa Knowledge Initiative aims to increase coverage of African-related topics on Wikimedia projects. Read more here. Congratulations! @Ceslause. :clap: :confetti_ball: Would you like to share more about this project here?

1 Like

Members of the Wikimedia community in India are using Wikimedia projects to document oral culture by creating video and audio recordings of oral culture with this toolkit. The recorded oral culture videos and audios are upload on Wikimedia Commons, the videos are transcribed and upload on Wikisource. You can read more about this project here. A similar project can be potentially useful for language communities in Africa. Are there similar projects ongoing in Africa that you know of?

2 Likes

Wikimania 2022 is just around the corner! Have you registered yet? which sessions are you planning on attending? @Mwintirew @Em-mustapha @Kinvidia @Tochiprecious @Owula_kpakpo @Ceslause @Joris_Darlington_Quarshie @Shahadusadik @UWIMPUHWE_Va @Ndahiro_derrick

2 Likes

I’m actually very excited about the Wikimania conference myself. I love the break and the networking that comes with it.
I’ll be having presentations myself both in group and as an individual. Here’s the list just in case anyone is interested:

1. Friday the 12th - WREN: Reviewing A Year of Wikimedians in Residence Activity - 2022:Submissions/WREN: Reviewing A Year of Wikimedians in Residence Activity - Wikimania

2. Saturday the 13th - Building international cooperation: lessons from AfroCuration: 2022:Submissions/Building international cooperation: lessons from AfroCuration - Wikimania

3. Saturday the 13th - Partner Up for Wikidata! Sharing knowledge and resources among Wikimedia affiliates around Wikidata Software Development - 2022:Submissions/Partner Up for Wikidata! Sharing knowledge and resources among Wikimedia affiliates around Wikidata Software Development - Wikimania

4 Likes

Yes @Zuz_WMF, I have registered. I’m planning to assist our scholars through out the events and attend some random sessions!

1 Like

Oh wonderful! @Tochiprecious I look forward to attending your sessions. Is anyone else making a presentation, @Em-mustapha are you? Please share here if you will be presenting on any of the sessions.

2 Likes

No! I’m not presenting this year.

1 Like

Thank you so much @Zita Zage .

Of course the Africa Knowledge Initiative project aims to cover a lot as regards the knowledge gap about Africa on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. It’s aimed at equipping the narrative changers all over Africa towards documenting Africa on the internet. I can go on and on about the amazing initiative. How about you join us on 19th August during the Africa Knowledge Initiative Office Hour? I’ll share more details here as the time approaches.

1 Like

Yes! I’ve registered @Zita Zage . Looking forward to the WiR session with @Tochi Precious, @Florence Devouard et al, among other interesting sessions lined up!

1 Like

Y es , i have registered

Hello Zita,
Yes I have registered.
Thank you
Best
Oby.

What has been your favourite sessions for Wikimania Day 1?

1 Like

For me, the Wiki Loves Monuments session with Ciell and Krishna was quite interesting! Very detailed information was shared during the section on how local communities can participate in the int’l campaign.

1 Like

My favorite sessions for today’s WIKIMANIA 1.Digital Conservation through knowledge sharing 2. Getting started with organising Wiki Loves Monuments 3. 4. Wikimedia Sound Logo Production Masterclass 5. Crisis and GLAM

3 Likes