Peer support for administrators

Continuing the discussion from [Announcements] The latest Applications for Movement Strategy Implementation Grants (MSiG):

I wanted to highlight this grant application here as it falls under this recommendation.

The project aims to test peer support groups as a framework to provide more safety in the movement and prevent volunteer burnout.

What do you think of this idea? Essentially - to host regular online meetings, and an in-person conference, with the goal of helping administrators learn strategies to deal with the stress of acting in a peer-dependent moderation system.

While the grant focuses on the Polish language Wikipedia, I can see it being also applied to other communities.

4 Likes

Pinging @Natalia_Szafran-Kozakowska_WMPL i @Grzegorz_Kopaczewski_WMPL :smiley:

1 Like

The first day of Wikimania brought an excellent presentation of this project by @Natalia_Szafran-Kozakowska_WMPL, who spoke during the Movement Strategy Implementation: Lightning Talks.
It was an opportunity to learn more about the research into the kinds of problems and challenges that community functionaries face in their Wiki roles.
It highlighted the fact that those who are most engaged in resolving the cases of online harassment and vandalism often face these situations without any prior training; are exposed to stress and burnout; and consequently begin to avoid these types of situations thus putting more load on those who are still willing to moderate.
This project, according to @Natalia_Szafran-Kozakowska_WMPL, uses the peer support framework to help the admins acquire the skills to deal with stress and learn moderation strategies. The project will offer expert training to functionaries of Polish Wikipedia.

5 Likes

It was a great joy to talk about this projet yesterday at Wikimania! (Thank you @YPam_WMF and @CKibelka_WMF for organizing this session! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:) It was also very nice to receive positive feedback about the project. I think it shows that in the movement we understand the need for a culture of support and recognition and are welcoming actions that aim to contribute to that. We are Wikimedians. We care about each other :heartpulse:

I will make sure to be sharing more about the project here while it will be unfolding!

4 Likes

I just wanted to share a quick update on the project! We have summarized surveys filled out by almost a half of Polish Wikipedia administrators (quite a lot!). Some findings that I think are quite interesting:

• 65% of administrators experience stress in relation to their work (15% of them experience it often)
  • stress seems to be experienced more often by those admins who react to harassment and conduct policy violations - it is experienced by 74% of them (26% responded that they experience it often!)
  • more than half of administrators who responded to the survey declared that they had been a target of harassment themselves (in most cases this was related to their role). Again - those numbers are higher for admins who react to harassment and conduct policies.

This shows that those who directly work on safety in Wikimedia projects are at a higher risk of burnout and would probably need more support to continue this work.

But there is also good news! There are already existing sources of support in the movement!

• The respondents in their majority (57%) agreed that they can rely on support from the general community and most of all other admins (82%).

Those are just quick findings, we will be working more on them and showing them all in the final project report! :bookmark_tabs:

5 Likes

See below for the English version!

Drodzy i Drogie,

przesyłam wieści dotyczące realizacji projektu!

GRUDNIOWE SPOTKANIE ADMIŃSKIE

W grudniu administratorzy polskojęzycznej Wikipedii po raz kolejny spotkali się na spotkaniu zdalnym! Podczas niego podsumowali 2022 rok, odpowiadając na pytanie Co dobrego zdarzyło się Wikipedii w 2022 roku?, a także mieli przestrzeń do powiedzenia dobrego słowa o pracy innych administratorów i administratorek, podając przykłady działań wartych pochwały.

ZWIĘKSZAMY WIEDZĘ TECHNICZNĄ WŚRÓD ADMINISTRATORÓW POLSKOJĘZYCZNEJ WIKIPEDII!

Podczas kolejnego spotkania w ramach programu admińskiego (w styczniu) administratorzy polskojęzycznej Wikipedii spotkali się, aby rozwijać swoją wiedzę i umiejętności techniczne.

Szkolenie z blokowania zakresów i dyskusję o maskowaniu IP przeprowadził gość specjalny, doświadczony steward i administrator w różnych projektach Wikimedia - DerHexer! Szkolenie (w którym udział wzięło 15 osób) było tłumaczone symultanicznie z języka angielskiego na język polski dzięki pomocy wolontariusza – administratora @Wojciech_Pędzich Osoby, które nie mogły wziąć udziału w spotkaniu, otrzymały materiały szkoleniowe wysłane do wszystkich administratorów polskojęzycznej Wikipedii. Dzięki temu do wiedzy dotyczącej blokowania zakresów i maskowania IP będzie można wrócić w każdej chwili!

Serdecznie dziękujemy Martinowi za przygotowanie materiałów i przeprowadzenie szkolenia oraz Wojtkowi za jego tłumaczenie.

PIERWSZY CAMP ADMIŃSKI JUŻ ZA TRZY TYGODNIE!

Już w pierwszy weekend marca administratorzy polskojęzycznej Wikipedii spotkają się w Józefowie koło Warszawy na pierwszym takim zlocie! Celem zlotu jest integracja, bliższe poznanie się i szerokie dyskusje wśród administratorów.

Pierwszego dnia, kiedy uczestnicy będą się zjeżdżać, będzie czas na nieformalną integrację. Drugiego dnia główną aktywnością będą warsztaty: „Wsparcie komunikacji i współpracy w zespole administratorów polskiej Wikipedii". Dzięki szkoleniu administratorzy dowiedzą się jak dobrze współpracować, wykorzystując konstruktywnie różnice indywidualne i różnorodność stylów funkcjonowania. To pozwoli im na lepsze współdziałanie dla dobra projektu. Warsztaty poprowadzi Artur Szczuka – psycholog-praktyk, doradca, trener z kilkunastoletnią praktyką w obszarach ochrony zdrowia, edukacji, biznesu i organizacji non-profit; specjalizuje się w tematyce związanej z tworzeniem i doskonaleniem funkcjonowania zespołów, rozwiązywaniem konfliktów w zespołach oraz rozwojem kompetencji menedżerskich.

Program trzeciego dnia jest otwarty! Czekamy na zgłoszenia tematów dyskusji, warsztatów, zabaw, wykładów – wszystko jest możliwe!

Więcej informacji na temat Campu Admińskiego możecie znaleźć na stronie: Camp Admiński 2023 – Wikimedia Polska

—----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear All,

I’m sending news about the project!

DECEMBER ADMINS’ MEETING

In December, the administrators of the Polish-language Wikipedia once again met at a remote meeting! They summed up 2022 by answering the question What good happened to Wikipedia in 2022?. They also had the opportunity to say something positive about the work of other administrators, giving examples of praiseworthy activities.

WE INCREASE THE TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE OF THE ADMINISTRATORS OF THE POLISH LANGUAGE WIKIPEDIA!

During the last meeting in January, the administrators of the Polish-language Wikipedia met to develop their knowledge and technical skills.

The IP range blocks training and IP masking discussion was conducted by a special guest, an experienced steward and administrator in various Wikimedia projects - DerHexer! The training (which was attended by 15 people) was simultaneously translated from English into Polish thanks to the help of a volunteer and administrator of pl.wiki @Wojciech_Pędzich. People who could not attend the meeting received training materials sent to all administrators of the Polish-language Wikipedia. Thanks to this, they can return to the knowledge of blocking ranges and IP masking at any time!

We would like to thank Martin for preparing the materials and conducting the training, and Wojtek for translating it.

FIRST ADMIN CAMP IN THREE WEEKS!

On the first weekend of March, the administrators of the Polish-language Wikipedia will meet in Józefów near Warsaw for the first such live event! The purpose of the meeting is integration, getting to know each other better and broad discussions among administrators.

On the first day, when the participants will arrive, there will be time for informal integration. On the second day, the main activity will be the workshop: “Support for communication and cooperation in the team of administrators of the Polish Wikipedia”. Thanks to the training, administrators will learn how to cooperate well, constructively using individual differences and the diversity of functioning styles. This will allow them to cooperate better for the benefit of the project. The workshop will be led by Artur Szczuka – a psychologist-practitioner, advisor, trainer with several years of practice in the areas of health care, education, business and non-profit organizations; he specializes in topics related to the creation and improvement of team functioning, conflict resolution in teams and the development of managerial competences.

The program of the third day is open! We are waiting for submissions of discussion topics, workshops, games, lectures - everything is possible!

More information about the Admin Camp can be found at: Camp Admiński 2023 – Wikimedia Polska

3 Likes

Drodzy i Drogie,

przesyłam wieści dotyczące realizacji projektu!

INTENSYWNY MARZEC W PROJEKCIE WSPARCIA ADMINISTRATORÓW POLSKOJĘZYCZNEJ WIKIPEDII!

CAMP ADMIŃSKI

W pierwszy weekend marca w Józefowie koło Warszawy miał miejsce Camp Admiński. Administratorzy i administratorki polskojęzycznej Wikipedii po raz pierwszy spotkali się w takim gronie na żywo!

Jolanta Drzewakowska (WMPL), Camp Admiński, Zdjęcie grupowe, CC BY-SA 4.0

Uczestnicy Campu wzięli udział w warsztatach: Wsparcie komunikacji i współpracy w zespole administratorów polskiej Wikipedii. Warsztaty, prowadzone przez Artura Szczukę były podzielone na cztery części:

• storytelling - wprowadzenie tematu roli wzajemnego wsparcia w zespole administratorów, udzielania sobie pozytywnego feedbacku i konstruktywnego korzystania z różnic indywidualnych;
  • diagnoza typu psychologicznego uczestników wg. metodologii MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator);
  • dyskusja grupowa uzyskanych przez poszczególnych członków zespołu wyników, w tym zidentyfikowanie mocnych stron zespołu oraz obszarów współpracy mogących stanowić wyzwanie w codziennych kontaktach; wypracowywanie możliwych sposobów dostosowywania się do wzajemnych potrzeb;
  • gra szkoleniowa, z praktyczną możliwością dostrzeżenia wpływu typu psychologicznego na sposób pracy własnej oraz współpracy w zespole, w tym w warunkach niepewności oraz presji czasowej.

Robert Drózd, Warsztaty prowadzone przez Artura Szczukę, CC BY-SA 4.0

Oprócz warsztatów, administratorzy i administratorki mieli dużo czasu na integrację. 100% uczestników wyjazdu uważa, że dzięki niemu lepiej poznali pozostałych administratorów i administratorki. Zdecydowana większość z nich uważa, że udział w Campie sprawił, że łatwiej będzie im współpracować z innymi administratorami oraz szukać u nich wsparcia.

Robert Drózd, Administratorzy i Administratorki podczas nieformalnej integracji, CC BY-SA 4.0

Camp Admiński, tak jak pozostałe wydarzenia organizowane przez Stowarzyszenie Wikimedia Polska, był organizowany z uwzględnieniem specjalnych potrzeb osób z niepełnosprawnościami (m.in. związanych z noclegiem, dojazdem, opieką medyczną). Aby ograniczyć inne bariery uczestnictwa wprowadziliśmy też program stypendialny. Robimy wszystko, aby nasze wydarzenia były inkluzywne, a udział w nich był możliwy i komfortowy dla każdego wikimedianina i wikimedianki.

Robert Drózd, Uczestnicy Campu Admińskiego, CC BY-SA 4.0

SZKOLENIE Z CYBERBEZPIECZEŃSTWA
9 marca odbyło się kolejne zdalne spotkanie administratorów i administratorek z ekspertem. Tym razem wykład oraz dyskusja poświęcone były tematowi cyberbezpieczeństwa. Spotkanie poprowadził Janusz Pietraczuk z CQURE.

2 Likes