Movement Strategy initiative #33: Leadership Development Plan

Global Approach for Local Skill Development

Wikimedia 2018-20 Recommendation 05 final.svg

In order to Invest in Skills and Leadership Development, we need a coordinated leadership development plan. While the term “leadership” can be interpreted differently and sometimes negatively, leadership roles are essential for any movement, and there are plenty of them in the Wikimedia organizations, committees, boards, etc. This initiative is about building an established process to document those roles and to train more people to fill them. This will help renew leaders, avoid burnout, increase diversity and, importantly, help leaders to support their communities in context, giving them much needed subsidiarity . This process would also involve seeking out new potential leaders, and providing them with training at the local and regional levels (for example: through hubs)

There is currently an active committee called the Leadership Development Working Group, which is closely related to this initiative.

Create a systematic, globally-coordinated leadership development plan. This requires us to:

• Establish a process to understand and model leadership according to skills necessary in each context.
  • Deploy tools or processes based on existing volunteer engagement that support communities in identifying potential leaders.
  • Invite potential leaders from other social movements to diversify and enrich the Movement through sharing experiences.
  • Provide training options (e.g. online, in-person) at local and regional levels to allow individuals to acquire leadership skills relevant to their communities.
  • Create an outline of the roles and skills that contextually encourages self-governance and ensures subsidiarity to empower communities.

Continue reading on Meta

3 Likes

It sounds fantastic.
A leader serves as the foundation of everything.
Without a strong leader, a country or a project can never be successful.
With this plan, not only will present leaders change and evolve, but new leaders will also emerge too. :heart:

1 Like

مرحبآ @ShahajadaSJ7 اعتقد ان مفهوم ليدرشيب لم يٌحدد بدقة بعد لكن ما يٌطرح الان بعيد كل البعد عن المفهوم الذي ذكرته تابع Collecting Feedback: A shared definition of leadership تحياتي

Great to see it helps!

2 Likes

ما طرحته مجموعة القيادة هو أحد الجهود التي تساهم في تطبيق هذه المبادرة، وجميع المشاريع القائمة لتطبيقها وتنفيذها موجودة على صفحة الميتا أعلاه.

لكن ينتابني الفضول لأعرف ما هو البعد الذي تراه بين المطروح في هذه الصفحة وما طرحته مجموعة تطوير القيادة، هل يمكن التوضيح لطفاً؟

2 Likes

Hi @ShahajadaSJ7,
It really feels good when more and more people become interested in the movement strategy process, specially young wikimedians like you make us feel hopeful. I welcome you to the “leadership and skill development” arena of the movement, and hope you’ll find more interest in this topic as you dig deeper into it.
When you’ll start considering the details of this initiative or the Leadership Development Working Group’s work under this initiative, you’ll be amazed knowing how amazingly beautiful the movement’s social dynamics is!

1 Like

hello @Mrb_Rafi
Thank for welcoming me in the leadership and skill development, I will try my best to work and contribute there. :heart:

2 Likes

مرحبا @Abbad_WMF عباد كان ردي للزميل @ShahajadaSJ7 بأن المفهوم الذي طرحه قد يخالف ما تقدمه مجموعة القيادة ولم اقارن البتة بين الطرح الأولي والعمل الحالي بل دعوته لمتابعة التفاصيل في مجموعة القيادة
واعتذر عن ردي المتحمس ربما كان علي التريث تحياتي

2 Likes

No worries, @Nehaoua!

You expressed your opinion regarding this MS initiative, and for that very reason, this forum exists!
Actually, @ShahajadaSJ7 is just a toddler in the path of movement strategy, as he mentioned in his earlier posts, and that’s why precise details in the idea of leadership in the movement won’t be visible from his perspective, which is quite possible. This is true for every new contributor, actually.

Now I plan to get him involved in the LDWG community calls so that he becomes capable of digging deeper into the ideas. If needed, I’ll arrange 1:1 calls to help him fully understand all these things.

And I must appreciate everyone’s enthusiasm on the Leadership and Skill Development topic! This is really great!!

1 Like