Embedding videos

Hi all! Some help, please.

I do not seem to be able to embed videos to the posts. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. The videos are:

1. File:Meet the Movement Charter Drafting Committee.webm - Wikimedia Commons
  2. Wikimedia Summit 2022 - What to expect and how to show up? - YouTube

I’ll try again with Youtube:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cWnVXTxpSvE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No need for ifframes!

Just put the URLs alone in a single line/paragraph:

Some URLs produce better embeds than others. Discourse is only partially responsible for this.

TY @Qgil-WMF! :clap: I love when “simple” is the answer. :star_struck:

What about the one in Commons, please? Wanted to embed it in the MCDC category, as an introduction, as mentioned in this previous post. It’s not possible, it seems? :confused: Thanks again.

There is no good embedding of Commons videos that I’m aware of. It would have to be a Forum Improvements request, although I don’t know what needs to be improved in Discourse and what in MediaWiki…

Now you can vote for this feature: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t want to make Discourse better. I want to make Commons better. Is WMF’s duty to make Commons better.

(This topic is in Sandbox, a place just to test and try out things.)

About this, see the Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan/2022-2023/Goals - Meta

Specifically this section:

Goal 2: Deepen our Commitment to Knowledge as a Service, starting with Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata

If you want to provide your feedback, the related talk page is a good place.

In technical terms, making Commons better at offering an embedded video player for third-party websites probably (I’m not a software developer) requires progress in one of these two Phabricator tasks, where your feedback is welcome too:

1 Like

I try not to vote when if lamp in the street should be replaced. I hope the administrators of the lighting will replace it without me trying to convince them that it’s their duty.