Details for the Wikimania 2022 Hackathon

Hello all,

The Wikimania Hackathon is August 12-14, just over 1 week away! Details are listed below.

Registration

Registration for the Wikimania Hackathon has now opened [1]! To register, submit your information to the Wikimania organizers, which will give you access to the Wikimania platform [2]. Find out who else is attending, and add yourself to the participants’ list [3].

Platform

The Hackathon will take place virtually on Pheedloop, the Wikimania platform [4]. This platform complies with WCAG 2.1 AA, and will support screen readers, font adjustments, and many other accessibility features. Video sessions will be held in Jitsi through this platform.

Format of the event

The Hackathon consists of events spread over three days [5]:

On the first day, there will be a pre-Hacking showcase to share project ideas and find collaborators. Anyone can present a project, and anyone can come as an observer.

Throughout the next two days, there will be open hacking, social events, and technical sessions. Anyone can offer a session; just claim a slot on the schedule!

Finally, there will be a final showcase to share the projects worked on during the Hackathon.

Preparing for the Hackathon

There are many ways to take part in the event. Think about what project you might want to work on (see examples from past Hackathons [6]), add your idea to Phabricator [7], and consider presenting at the pre-Hacking showcase. Host a session by adding information to the schedule [5]. Check out information for newcomers [8]. And don’t forget to register [2]!

Best wishes,

Srishti on behalf of the Hackathon organizing team

[1] Hackathon - Wikimania

[2] | Wikimania 2022 - August 11, 2022

[3] Hackathon/Participants - Wikimania

[4] The Platform Powering Wikimania 2022 – Diff

[5] Hackathon/Schedule - Wikimania

[6] Wikimedia Hackathon 2022/Showcase - MediaWiki

[7] Wikimania-Hackathon-2022 · Workboard

[8] Hackathon/Newcomers - Wikimania

2 Likes

thanks for coming over here, to the MS Forums using Discourse, to post this. this information is highly valuable! I think I saw your recent post on Telegram, on this topic as well! great work!

2 Likes

When will registration of the next Hackathon 2023 start? Can a Wikimania volunteer take part in it?

3 Likes

@ShahajadaSJ7 There is no public announcement yet about the 2023 hackathon. I’d encourage you to keep an eye on the Wikitech-I mailing list. If you are not yet subscribed to it, here is the link: Info | wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org - lists.wikimedia.org. Thank you!

3 Likes

@SSethi_WMF
Thank you. I am going to subscribe in a second.

2 Likes