Testing Shared Edits with emojis [PART 4]

There is a possibility that emojis break Shared Edits. Let’s find out.

Ok, let’s start simple. :slight_smile:

First let’s add emojis in a short post. :wink: We can always make it longer to see whether it is emojis alone or emojis plus length what breaks things. :sweat:

Please join and edit away! Emojify this post.

Quim didn’t know that you could enable Shard Edits without enabling Make Wikis. It feels counterintuitive but ok, I guess this way admins and moderators (whoever can edit the post) can have shared edits too. :person_shrugging: (all this was just an excuse to add an emoji) :man_shrugging:

Let the party begin! :slight_smile: :smiley:

Should we say who’s writing what? (Nhu)
We can (Branimir) - as long as we add emojis. Plenty of them :stuck_out_tongue:
So, one of the goals is to see whether this can break up the post - when many people are editing at the same time, and are using emojis.

Maciej is trying this out. Seems hard to join, as you have to add an enter when another person is writing in the last line (breaking their answer) :cry:

• Yes.
  • Maciej, this is the same with Etherpad or Google Docs.
  • I know, still sad!

So, we’re waiting for more people to join in…

A quick one: Who is here now?

• I am here - Chitra :innocent:
  • Quim
  • Branimir
  • Zita
  • Maciej

I (Quim) think there was a good opportunity at the team meeting call. We could have asked people to stay, and then do a party with camera on, coordinating actions… I was so looking forward. :slight_smile:

• Yes. We kind of lost that (Branimir)
  • Yes, I agree (Chitra)
  • That would have been more fun (Zita)

Quim isn’t that convinced about thee emoji hypothesis, but really there is little else to think of. The error message is confusing. Let; s kep using this one simultaneously to see if we can break it or not. :smiley:
Agree (B) Plus, th
:heavy_plus_sign:Zee
(there is a bit of overlap if i have to write something and someone is already writing…using the “space” button becomes tough)

This works clearly well when different people are editing different paragraphs. Less so when different people are editing the same words. Then again, I believe this is the same for Google Docs and Etherpad as well. :confused: Other than that, it feels pretty neat.
I like the “editing” display which shows clearly who is editing the post at any given time. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :speech_balloon: :left_speech_bubble:

I like that notes are integrated on the Forum, easy to find and translatable. :wilted_flower: This emoji with the flower doesn’t fit the sentence, I’m just using weird emojis to test. :sweat_smile:

Right now on the right side I see Branimir and Chitra’s avatars “editing…” This is nice too.

:face_with_thermometer: :flushed: :exploding_head: :japanese_goblin: :100: :no_good_man: :man_running:

The experience today seems better than yesterday. I can see people typing and what they are typing. :smile:

Seems like everyone left, except you Branimir :slight_smile: can’t see anyone else typing.

Quim is typing too!

(now no one is typing)

Now Chitra is typing.

Now nobody is typing. We are getting out of steam, it seems.

I can see you typing, Maciej :slight_smile:
Why is nobody seeing me type :laughing:(who are you?) Zita

Now we all type! #Maciej

Maiee alj l cis typan ing typenow, !next to Chitra. (I like how this looks - a bit like Cymraeg) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ((((This sentence was written as two people were typing on the same space at the same time. I guess I am not the only one looking at my finger instead of the screen while I type.) :smiley:

We can all be typing!:smile: l

I see Quim and Maciej typing now.

It seems the Maximum number of people you can see typing is 3.

I see there people now, yes. Zita, Branimir and Chitra,

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: :writing_hand: :writing_hand: :writing_hand: :writing_hand: :smiley: :red_gift_envelope: :man_shrugging: :zebra: :axe: :man_running:

Hello world!

I dunno, this seems to work. Let’s add some *formatting[quote=“Qgil-WMF, post:1, topic:1937, full:true”]
There is a possibility that emojis break Shared Edits. Let’s find out.

Ok, let’s start simple. :slight_smile:

First let’s add emojis in a short post. :wink: We can always make it longer to see whether it is emojis alone or emojis plus length what breaks things. :sweat:

Please join and edit away! Emojify this post.

Quim didn’t know that you could enable Shard Edits without enabling Make Wikis. It feels counterintuitive but ok, I guess this way admins and moderators (whoever can edit the post) can have shared edits too. :person_shrugging: (all this was just an excuse to add an emoji) :man_shrugging:

Let the party begin! :slight_smile: :smiley:

Should we say who’s writing what? (Nhu)
We can (Branimir) - as long as we add emojis. Plenty of them :stuck_out_tongue:
So, one of the goals is to see whether this can break up the post - when many people are editing at the same time, and are using emojis.

Maciej is trying this out. Seems hard to join, as you have to add an enter when another person is writing in the last line (breaking their answer) :cry:

• Yes.
  • Maciej, this is the same with Etherpad or Google Docs.
  • I know, still sad!

So, we’re waiting for more people to join in…

A quick one: Who is here now?

• I am here - Chitra :innocent:
  • Quim
  • Branimir
  • Zita
  • Maciej

I (Quim) think there was a good opportunity at the team meeting call. We could have asked people to stay, and then do a party with camera on, coordinating actions… I was so looking forward. :slight_smile:

• Yes. We kind of lost that (Branimir)
  • Yes, I agree (Chitra)
  • That would have been more fun (Zita)

Quim isn’t that convinced about thee emoji hypothesis, but really there is little else to think of. The error message is confusing. Let; s kep using this one simultaneously to see if we can break it or not. :smiley:
Agree (B) Plus, th
:heavy_plus_sign:Zee
(there is a bit of overlap if i have to write something and someone is already writing…using the “space” button becomes tough)

This works clearly well when different people are editing different paragraphs. Less so when different people are editing the same words. Then again, I believe this is the same for Google Docs and Etherpad as well. :confused: Other than that, it feels pretty neat.
I like the “editing” display which shows clearly who is editing the post at any given time. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :speech_balloon: :left_speech_bubble:

I like that notes are integrated on the Forum, easy to find and translatable. :wilted_flower: This emoji with the flower doesn’t fit the sentence, I’m just using weird emojis to test. :sweat_smile:

Right now on the right side I see Branimir and Chitra’s avatars “editing…” This is nice too.

:face_with_thermometer: :flushed: :exploding_head: :japanese_goblin: :100: :no_good_man: :man_running:

The experience today seems better than yesterday. I can see people typing and what they are typing. :smile:

Seems like everyone left, except you Branimir :slight_smile: can’t see anyone else typing.

Quim is typing too!

(now no one is typing)

Now Chitra is typing.

Now nobody is typing. We are getting out of steam, it seems.

I can see you typing, Maciej :slight_smile:
Why is nobody seeing me type :laughing:(who are you?) Zita

Now we all type! #Maciej

Maiee alj l cis typan ing typenow, !next to Chitra. (I like how this looks - a bit like Cymraeg) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ((((This sentence was written as two people were typing on the same space at the same time. I guess I am not the only one looking at my finger instead of the screen while I type.) :smiley:

We can all be typing!:smile: l

I see Quim and Maciej typing now.

It seems the Maximum number of people you can see typing is 3.

I see there people now, yes. Zita, Branimir and Chitra,

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: :writing_hand: :writing_hand: :writing_hand: :writing_hand: :smiley: :red_gift_envelope: :man_shrugging: :zebra: :axe: :man_running:

Hello world!

I dunno, this seems to work. Let’s add some formatting.

uth:2022-10-10T18:30:00Z
[/quote]

Ok, Quim accidentally quoted the whole message, and there is no Undo. :smiley:

Riddle! Riddle!

What goes up and never comes down?

uth:2022-10-11T00:00:00Z

• Strawberry ice-cream
  • Chocolate ice-cream
  • I hate ice-cream
    [/poll]
    /Calcutta"]

[Adding poll below]

• Strawberry ice-cream
  • Chocolate ice-cream
  • I hate ice-cream
0 voters

Well, I can’t see us breaking up this post no matter how hard we try :slight_smile: :egg: :hammer:
I agree
Looking in other tab - everything seems ok.

A3: Eu vejo o ícone do :earth_americas: aqui. A tradução parece estar funcionando para mim.
যদি তোর ডাক শুনে কেউ না আসে, তবে একলা চলো রে
Potpuno se slažem :wink:

Can anyone see the globe button? Or it’s not supposed to be here at all…

I can’t see the globe button…

…which means simultaneous editing can happen in English only, unless someone writes comment in another language as a “reply”.
That’s quite like Etherpad, isn’t it?
It is.

Because the text is mostly in English, I am not supposed to see the globe icon anyway.

Also, from checking in another tab - I can say that the post refreshes quickly.
True.
Ok, to conclude - Has anyone seen any error message(s)?
Chitra- I am going now…dinner time :slight_smile:
Enjoy and bon appetite :plate_with_cutlery:

• Haven’t seen any error messages.
  • Me neither (Branimir)

I’m going too. Thanks for participating! :melting_face:

Edit button is not visible in this post.

Sorry, now?

1 Like

@CSinha_WMF can you add texh in Hindi and Bangla, please? Maybe that helps breaking the post.

1 Like

Ok, I think this test has been a “success”. Thank you @CSinha_WMF @Zuz_WMF @BPipal_WMF and @MNadzikiewicz_WMF ! We couldn’t break the post meaning that we still don’t know much about why the other topic broke. On the other hand, this was more intense than usual note-taking at a meeting, so chances are that this plugin is stable enough.

3 Likes

It could also be that whatever maintenance the Discourse team has done overnight has resolved some of the previous issues.