Movement Strategy initiative #29: Living documents to define responsibilities

Living documents to define responsibilities

Wikimedia 2018-20 Recommendation 05 final.svg

Coordinating Across Stakeholders requires defining clear responsibilities across the Wikimedia movement. Currently, there is much ambiguity about the roles of the many Wikimedia stakeholders in specific areas (for example: how do Affiliates contribute to developing new technologies?). In order to improve coordination between stakeholders, there should be clear documents that clarify the responsibilities of each stakeholder. Such documents should establish the values and accountabilities of work in each specific topic (for example: technology or advocacy). Those documents should be kept up-to-date to reflect the inclusion of newcomers, as well as the evolution of the area of work and evolving roles and needs.

• Create and keep updated shared documents defining clear responsibilities and expected capabilities for specific activities like advocacy, capacity building, partnerships, product, and technology, among others. These documents will reflect common shared values, needs, principles, and accountability and facilitate growth and inclusivity.

Continue reading on Meta

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Sharing Meta page drafts of Movement Strategy initiatives for review

I do not agree with this idea. A) firstly If these documents don’t already exist, then it is far from certain that the community needs these in any way. B) your manner of introducing these ideas for feedback here at MS Forums has not been effective, and in fact may be detrimental. As you can see your posting of these threads has not generated any feedback at all. It has simply inundated the MS forums with generic-looking threads. Each new thread on this topic simply devalues the whole set of threads as a group. C) if your method for getting support for these documents is via these threads, then I don’t think this is the correct forum. I think these belong at Village Pump, not here. Since no one has commented , clearly a new venue is needed.

D) by the way, I know I had posted on this thread earlier to comment on the value of these threads as whole; however since this thread pertains to the overall process for introducing new Movement documents, I feel this thread happens to be the correct place for my specific comment above on this topic; I.e. regardless of the fact that I used the thread earlier for a general comment that perhaps was not relevant here, I feel my comment above does relate specifically to this topic, and request that it please be kept here on this thread. Thanks.