Mon, Dec 5, 9:00 pm EST: Movement Charter Draft community call, USA and Canada

The Movement Charter Drafting Committee (MCDC) wants to interact with the wider Wikimedia communities and gather feedback on the drafts of the first three sections: Preamble, Values & Principles, and Roles & Responsibilities (intentions statement).

The drafts of these sections are linked here: Movement Charter/Content - Meta

The MCDC has been working since November 2021 on developing the Movement Charter. The Movement Charter will be a document that defines the roles and responsibilities for all the members and entities of the Wikimedia movement, including laying out a new Global Council for movement governance. Creating such a charter was previously proposed in the Movement Strategy recommendations. See Movement Charter - Meta for more details and a timeline.

1 Like

Zoom link posted.

3 Likes

FYI, in the future, it would be more useful to post some user-friendly local times. For this session, this was what was posted:
Date and time: Monday, 5 December 2022 at 02:00 - 03:30 UTC

But since this is a North America-specific session, it would be December 4 for ALL the constituents. Therefore, posting this with a note that it is December 4 would be much better.

Also, no publicity I could see was posted in major channels for the North American community, such as the Telegram group for WikiConference North America, which has some of our most active community folks. If we want substantive engagement and feedback, we need to do a much better job of canvassing and getting involvement.

-Andrew

Hmm, do you have a time zone set in your forum settings? It should automatically show you the correct time.

This is actually happening tonight, Dec 5 at 9 pm Eastern/6 pm Pacific.

I can post a message to the Telegram shortly.

So is this right or wrong?

1 Like

Ah, thank you for pointing that out. A well-meaning user had changed the UTC date based on their local time.

“WALRUS” timing always get confusing in UTC :slight_smile:

Thanks for catching that, @Fuzheado and for correcting that, @Xeno_WMF !

It is on Monday, Dec 5 at 9:00pm East Coast time in North America, and 6:00pm West Coast time, which is equivalent to 2am UTC on Tuesday, Dec 6. Very confusing :slight_smile: The ESEAP one, in case you’re interested for that “early” time zone @Fuzheado is on Dec 9 (Friday) at 9am UTC. You can find out more info here: December 9th, 09:00 UTC : MCDC Community Consultation: East, Southeast Asia and the Pacific

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who attended the call, I thought the discussion was really productive, and appreciate all the constructive input that was provided. I can share the re-caps of the two breakout rooms, for anyone who was unable to attend:

1 Like

Hi everyone. Sorry, but actually, it is a little more complicated than that. As you can see below, if you click the event date and time in the initial post above, an automatic context menu opens. The forum software assumes that any times are not in the North American time zone, so therefore, it automatically converts the event time into the local time zone.

However, in this example, I don’t actually know what is the default setting is here, or what is the basis for the time conversion shown in the screenshot. Clearly, it is not identifying the time shown as UTC time, as the difference would be much greater if that were the case.

So can anyone please tell me how the system is arriving at the NY time shown here, based on the time shown in the initial post? I appreciate it. tagging @NPhan_WMF , and @Xeno_WMF

Since I created the event and my setting is America/Toronto, it probably set it to the equivalent (New York).

I wonderful if you scroll over the start time of 9:00pm if it would show 9:00pm in NY as well? I ask because it looks like you’re hovering over the end time, which is correctly 10:30pm in NY.

oh, for goodness’ sake, perhaps you are correct on that. sorry for not realizing that. lol thanks! :laughing: