Discuss the Revised UCoC Enforcement Guidelines

, ,

Hello everyone,

The Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement Guidelines Revisions Committee is requesting comments regarding the Revised Enforcement Draft Guidelines for the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC). This review period will be open from 8 September 2022 until 8 October 2022.

The Committee collaborated to revise these draft guidelines based on input gathered from the community discussion period from May through July, as well as the community vote that concluded in March 2022. The revisions are focused on the following four areas:

1. To identify the type, purpose, and applicability of the UCoC training;
  2. To simplify the language for more accessible translation and comprehension by non-experts;
  3. To explore the concept of affirmation, including its pros and cons;
  4. To review the balancing of the privacy of the accuser and the accused

The Committee requests comments and suggestions about these revisions by 8 October 2022. From there, the Revisions Committee anticipates further revising the guidelines based on community input.

Find the Revised Guidelines on Meta, and a comparison page in some languages.

We encourage you to start the discussion here or participate in one of the three conversation hours.

Conversation Hours schedule:

Session 1: Asia-Pacific

Session 2: Central Europe/Africa/Middle East

Session 3: North America/Latin America/Western Europe

• Date and time: Monday, October 3, 2022 9:00 PM
  • Spanish and Portuguese interpretation planned.
3 Likes

The first session of the UCoC Conversation Hours is now over.
In a lively and dynamic 90-minutes discussion, Wikimedians from Asia and Pacific region and other parts of the world exchanged their views and comments about the latest draft of the UCoC Enforcement Guidelines.
You can read a summary of notes and continue the discussion with your own comments.
Looking forward to seeing your contributions!

1 Like

With the second session of the UCoC Conversation Hours behind us, there only one slot left for the interested Wikimedians who would like to join the discussion.
The last Conversation Hour will take place on 2022-10-03T21:00:00Z.

Geared towards geographical regions of Africa, Central Europe, and Middle East, the recently finished Second Conversation Hour has attraced diverse participants who brought their unique perspectives, experiences and questions. It was an interesting and informative 90-minutes discussion which, at times, veered off the planned path with several questions that touched upon the issue of general equity and diversity.
You can read more about all this in the summary of notes.
** We encourage you to continue this interesting discussion with your own comments.**
Looking forward to seeing your contributions!

What has changed in the Revised UCoC Enforcement Guidelines?

The Revisions Committee collaborated to revise draft guidelines based on input gathered from the community discussion period from May through July, as well as the community vote that concluded in March 2022.

To help the community revision process, the UCoC team has prepared a side-by-side, colour-coded comparison of the old and new versions of the UCoC Enforcement Guidelines, highlighting what was changed and how.

In the old Enforcement Guidelines:

• Removed text is highlighted in red;

• Text under revision is highlighted in pink;

• Revised text is highlighted in yellow.

In the new Enforcement Guidelines:

• Revised text is highlighted in yellow;

• Newly added text is highlighted in green.

Changes were made to the following sections of the Enforcement Guidelines:

• 2.1 - Notification and Affirmation

• 2.2 - Training (Recommendations for UCoC training)

• 3.3 - Principles and recommendations for enforcement structures (Fairness and transparency of process and the process of appeals)

The three sections are the centre of community discussions during the Conversation Hours.

The last conversation hour will be held on Monday, October 3, 2022 9:00 PM.
The meeting is geared toward geographical regions of North America, Latin America, and Western Europe and will offer interpretation to Spanish and Portuguese.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Dear Wikimedians,

Conversation hours are now finished, and the period of community review of the Revised UCoC Enforcement Guidelines will close on Saturday, October 8.

Conversation hours brought dynamic and lively debate, with Wikimedians asking interesting questions, raising important issues, and making valuable suggestions. However, due to the limited time available for each meeting, some of the questions could not be answered before the meetings’ end. The UCoC project team has collected those questions and obtained answers in written form. Some of these questions do not have clear answers at present; the Revisions Committee will consider them as they review community input on the revised Enforcement Guidelines.
The Committee will reconvene in the second week of October 2022, and the UCoC project team will support them in providing updates as they continue their work.

The answers are documented on this Meta page.
We invite you to discuss these answers with other Wikimedians here on this Forum.

1 Like

Je suis à titre personnel quand même très largement gêné par la manière de procéder de la fondation (et accessoirement meta) qui évoque régulièrement dans sa communication envers les contributeurs que ces derniers doivent être beaucoup plus inclusifs dans leur pratique sur les projets locaux, mais qui se montre encore incapable de discuter autrement qu’en anglais et oblige dans les instances inter-projets uniquement à parler en anglais sans tenir compte des nombreuses autres langues qui existent… C’est aussi une forme claire de non-inclussion et de quasi-rejet envers de nombreux contributeurs ne parlant pas anglais.

لم تقنعني الإجابة عن تشكيلة اللجنة ومدى تمثيلها لجميع الاطياف خاصة أن شمال أفريقيا والشرق الأوسط مجتمع كبير وله خصوصيات

Zdravo @Fanchb29 i hvala vam na komentaru.

Razumem vašu zabrinutost oko pravičnosti i položaja engleskog jezika koji je postao de facto lingua franca. Nažalost, za ovaj problem nema brzih i lakih rešenja. Moj utisak je da Fondacija postaje osetljivija i svesnija jezičke barijere i da nastoji da je reši. Na primer, nedavno objavljen tekst revidiranih Smernica za sprovođenje UCoC-a je dostupan na više od 30 jezika, a učinjen je i napor da se podrže razgovori sa simultanim prevodom na nekoliko jezika.
Naravno, ja ne mogu da znam da li će svi ovi pokušaji biti uspešni – potrebno je vreme i mnogo rada kako bi se pronašao pravi balans između idealnih rešenja i raspoloživih resursa.

Ovaj Forum predstavlja moguće rešenje koje otklanja barem jedan deo problema. To je bezbedan, gostoljubiv i istinski višejezičan prostor koji uklanja jezičke barijere tako što omogućava Wikimedijancima da diskutuju i objavljuju na svom maternjem jeziku – baš kao što ja sada činim u ovom odgovoru. Uprkos svim nesavršenostima automatskog prevođenja, ovo je prvi put da članovi Wikimedijine zajednice iz svih delova sveta imaju priliku da zajedno razgovaraju o važnim pitanjima, bez obzira na nivo znanja engleskog jezika.

Znam da ovo ne rešava sva vaša pitanja, ali smatram da jeste korak u pravom smeru.
Kakvo je vaše mišljenje o ovom pitanju? Kako biste vi rešili problem lingvističke jednakosti? Slobodno podelite svoje predloge i komentare ovde.

Srdačan pozdrav!