East, Southeast Asia and the Pacific (ESEAP) Strategic Talk

Exciting news!!! The Community Review Report of the Forum is ready :heart_eyes:. What do you think? Any further thoughts? There is also a new diff blog about this!

1 Like

The 2022 Board of Trustees election community voting has started! (from 23rd August to 6th September). Don’t forget to vote! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Interested in knowing more if a candidate’s position on certain issue is similar to yours? You can try out the election compass and use it as a reference! P.S. The election compass is available in 19 languages at the moment. Let us know if you want to help translate it to further languages :slight_smile:

As many of you already know, the conversation hour (Asia-Pacific timezones friendly) on the revised UCoC enforcement guidelines will take place this Friday at 10:00 UTC. I strongly encourage you to sign up on the meta page and attend the session! :slight_smile: Mandarin and Japanese interpretation will be available. If you already have thoughts and questions you want to share, you can also post them on this forum thread. Let us know if you have any questions.

Community Resources’ Conversation Hour for new applicants to the Wikimedia Community & Alliance Fund is taking place shortly (2022-09-20T13:00:00Z2022-09-20T14:00:00Z) and on 2022-09-23T03:00:00Z2022-09-23T04:00:00Z. Don’t miss it!

There are some interesting Diff blogs published by the MSG team lately:

Dear friends, the Movement Charter Drafting Committee will start the community consultation soon in late November for the first three sections of the Movement Charter draft. Before that, to ensure that everyone is well informed to fully participate in the conversations and are empowered to contribute their perspective on the Movement Charter, three Ask Me Anything about Movement Charter sessions have been scheduled in different time zones. The Asia-Pacific session is happening on 2022-11-04T09:00:00Z2022-11-04T10:30:00Z. Will you be there? Look forward to seeing many of you!

3 Likes

@VChang_WMF hello! Does this topic cover the Indian Subcontinent as well?

1 Like

Hi @Ifteebd10, wonderful meeting you last week! There is another thread covering specifically South Asia started by @CSinha_WMF. You may also find the South Asia category tag useful when posting/finding information. Nevertheless, I certainly invite you to also share information from the Indian subcontinent that you think would be of interest to/relevant to the ESEAP audience here as well! :grinning:

3 Likes

Dear all, hope you all enjoyed the ask me anything session about MCDC last week :slight_smile:. If you miss it, there are still another two sessions coming. Also, don’t hesitate to sign up and join the Movement Charter Ambassador Program.

There is also another grant opportunity - the Movement Strategy Community Engagement Package. You can apply for funding to support your local community and make further progress on Movement Strategy implementation work.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information! This was one of my first times talking in an international meeting, so I was very nervous that time :sweat_smile: But still, I loved to be involved with the attendees! I will definitely share my thoughts with the ESEAP audiences that I find relevant.

5 Likes

It was so great to learn your thoughts in the meeting! You sounded perfectly fine to me (I really had no clue that you were nervous :grinning:), thank you for actively contributing to the session! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Dear ESEAP friends, as many of you know that the Community Engagement Survey for the Hub Sessions in ESEAP Conference 2022 is currently ongoing. This is a reminder that the survey will soon be closed at 2022-11-14T09:00:00Z. If you have not yet filled out the survey, really encourage everyone to do so! Hubs are to empower existing and future communities to have the capacity and resources to make and implement their own decisions to meet their differing needs. All ESEAP members’ views are important. If you are attending the sessions in Sydney, filling out this survey would support the discussion time at the conference to be used most efficiently and effectively. If you are not attending the sessions in Sydney, filling out this survey would help ensure that your views are considered and included in the upcoming discussions.

Dear all, if you are interested in joining the Ombuds commission (OC) or the Case Review Committee (CRC), please consider applying. The deadline for applications is 31 December 2022 in any timezone. There is still a conversation hour coming (not ESEAP timezone friendly though), it is on 2022-11-16T18:00:00Z.

1 Like

Dear ESEAP friends, don’t forget to provide feedback on the Movement Charter content - Preamble, Values & Principles, and Roles & Responsibilities (statement of intent) by 18th December.

We look forward to seeing you at the community consultation session for East Asia, South East Asia, and the Pacific region (ESEAP) that will take place 2022-12-09T09:00:00Z2022-12-09T10:30:00Z. Please join the Zoom meeting via this link. Live interpretation will be available in Indonesian, Japanese, and Mandarin Chinese. You are also invited to fill out this anonymous survey to share your thoughts about the content.

Happy 2023 ESEAP friends! :fireworks:

The voting period for the revised Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement Guidelines has started! Voting will be open for two weeks and will close at 23:59 UTC on January 31, 2023 . Please visit the voter information page on Meta-wiki for voter eligibility information and details on how to vote.

1 Like

The voting result of Universal Code of Conduct revised Enforcement Guidelines are as below:

• 3097 voters from 146 Wikimedia communities voted
  • 76% in support of the Enforcement Guidelines, and 24% in opposition.

Statistics for the vote are available here. The results and comments collected during this vote will be submitted to the Board of Trustees for their review. The current expectation is that the Board of Trustees review process will complete in March 2023.

4 Likes

The Wikimedia Foundation Legal Department is hosting a feedback cycle about updating the Wikimedia Terms of Use (ToU).

The Terms of Use are the legal terms that govern the use of websites hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation. We will be gathering your feedback on a draft proposal from February through April. The draft has been translated into several languages, with feedback accepted in any language.

This update comes in response to several things:

1. Implementing the Universal Code of Conduct
  2. Updating project text to the Creative Commons BY-SA 4.0 license (CC 4.0)
  3. A proposal for better addressing undisclosed paid editing
  4. Bringing our terms in line with current and recently passed laws affecting the Foundation including the European Digital Services Act

For more contexts of each point, please see the communication sent via the ESEAP mailing list. Full information has been published here.

2 Likes

In case you haven’t heard, the Board has ratified the UCoC Enforcement Guidelines:

A detailed summary of the comments is still to be published.

3 Likes

I had never heard of it. thank you!

This subject will be interesting to follow.

2 Likes