What do you think about the proposed name and domain?

I agree seems like some (not quick and easy) work that should be planned mid-term.

I agree discuss.wikimedia.org and/or even shorter just D.Wikimedia.org
(to stand in for Discourse & Discuss without spelling issues)
as best generic name if widely adopted soon enough…

Please no more fake .ORGanization domains…it really deteriorates what .org was supposed to serve and especially as NGO WMF is it should not keep adding to this domain name mess.
For catch all it would be easy to use .link or similar.

I am not convinced over the use of word tool in the domain as it centeres utility aspect, but not interaction of users and content.

That does not seem obvious at all since we tried a wide forum once (at Wikiedia Space), which also was a Discourse instance. I think we should either revive that or keep the focus on this forum as narrow as possible, not allowing for (and be vigilante in moderating) anything else that would have suited in Space.

For what is worth, wikimedia.forum is available, and it would allow for combinations like strategy.wikimedia.forum etc.

Regardless of how good of an idea this would be, “for what is worth” is in my opinion not worth :wink: because the price they ask for is exorbitant and the registrar seems to be a business we wouldn’t want to support or be associated with.

@Ainali I like the idea of experimenting in different directions, but it would be good to have prep what we do experiment with and what not (even if just for orientation, not to cast it stone).

Experimentation is great, as long as we learn from it! :grinning:

1 Like

I think we could retain the current domain name; however, I think that probably we should create an additional domian, which would simply redicret users to this website. and the additional domain should contain some word such as “wikimedia,” or something that more explicitly relates this back to wikipedia and wikimedia. thanks.

1 Like

.org and movement-strategy. are sub-optimal+missleading in several ways. pls see above.

1 Like

it’s good!

@RebeccaRwanda can you explain, please? Do you mean that the current domain is good, or something else?

One decision in this process: *.wikimedia.org is not an option.

The Wikimedia Site Reliability Engineering team prefers not to use this domain for any new service (MediaWiki or not) that is not directly under their supervision. For 3rd party services especially, the use of any other domain is usually a better option, or the only one.

So… what next? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Remove it from the top post…

…and we continue brainstorming once the Forum has green-light to stay.

I would add to my previous proposal of 2030.w.wiki
also forum.w.wiki if scope is to expand beyond hosting implementation discussions.

SIDENOTE:
There is a new exception or a model for naming on Wikimedia introduced with http://Learn.Wiki
IMHO it is a bit pretentions domain choice for such a tiny learning program,
but maybe useful to inform of adoption of .Wiki beyond just w.Wiki…

Interesting find - thanks for sharing! …I’m not very tech-savvy, so I’ll wait for @Qgil-WMF to return from holiday next week and continue this convo with you!

Done.

That’s an interesting pattern to follow! Some of those .wiki domains seem quite expensive, but it looks like forum.wiki might be available.

Glad you agree. Hope others warm up to it.

Actually I think the owner already donated w.wiki,
so my preference is to build on that with subdomains
like forum.w.wiki, rather then to keep diversifying
and adding to the DNS maintenance workload.

As I wrote above
IMHO it is a bit pretensions domain choice for such a specific forum,
but Forum.w.Wiki…would be much good. Would you agree?

I think w.wiki should be kept just for the URL shortener (although it’s not a very strongly held opinion!).

adding to the DNS maintenance workload

I don’t think this is a concern (although I’m not involved in any of that stuff). Maintaining a few domains is likely to be much the same as maintaining a few dozen.

IMHO it is a bit pretensions domain choice for such a specific forum, but Forum.w.Wiki…would be much good. Would you agree?

I thought about that, but no, I think it’s probably fine. That domain would have to be used for something, if someone registered it, and it’s probably unlikely at this point to be used for a general forum about wikis (or a wiki about forums)! I do agree that the tendency for people to treat ‘wiki’ as synonymous with ‘Wikipedia/Wikimedia’ is unfortunate, but I think that’s a separate issue.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Hosting this Forum in the Wikimedia servers

The summary says

Sentiment: General agreement to move away from the current domain to an alternative containing “Wikimedia”.

Which is a fair summary of the discussion we have had here. On the other hand, it is also fair to note that, meanwhile, many users don’t seem to be bothered by the current domain.

The factor of credibility and trust that was mentioned when the site was launched (and it was basically empty) loses strength when the site is filled with real users and real content. New users landing for the first time see Wikimedia discussions and maybe even Wikimedia people they have seen elsewhere. As of today, nobody really would take this as a fake Wikimedia site.

I’m not saying we should stick to the current domain. I’m only pointing out something that hasn’t been said in this discussion but can be seen every day as new users keep joining.

1 Like

I have updated the description. Please review.

1 Like