Movement Strategy initiative #3: Increased awareness about the Wikimedia Movement

Increased awareness about the Wikimedia Movement (read the full version on Meta wiki)

Wikimedia 2018-20 Recommendation 01.svg

In order to increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, we should increase awareness about it and its work. This includes, for example, creating videos or organizing campaigns to introduce the Wikimedia projects to new audiences and groups. This will ensure the sustainability of interest in the movement from people like readers, partner organizations and donors, as well as bringing new volunteers.

Increase awareness about the Wikimedia Movement, its values, achievements, projects, and communities worldwide – to secure the attention, trust, and interest of knowledge consumers, volunteers, partners, and donors.

Movement Strategy recommendation #1: Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement

Continue reading on Meta

3 Likes

Interesting topic. I would like to be part of it .

WHY? :Sometimes in our community, volunteers just go edit, but they don’t understand the Wikimedia movement or its value; awareness is critical to achieving our 2030 vision.

4 Likes

That’s great to hear, @UWIMPUHWE_Va ! Have you seen all the active implementation projects for this initiative? Let us know if you’re interested in any of them and we’ll see if we can connect you with that project or share more info about the project.

Also, if you have ideas yourself about how to raise awareness, we’re all ears! We would love to hear what you’re thinking and see how we can help you make it happen through Movement Strategy implementation grants.

2 Likes

Hello,

Of course, I’m interested.

You may connect me to this project to know more and if I can discuss with a focus person to come up with some recommendations, but the first of these projects is the one I find some interest in more related to our community .

However, I am willing to contribute to our goal of 2030 .

1 Like

Hi, we have prepared a report summarizing strategic data and activities related to the recommendation Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, focusing on projects led by the Wikimedia Foundation. It includes a section about this initiative that I’m copying here for convenience and automatic translations.

Implementing this initiative requires promoting the Wikimedia movement to readers, volunteers, partners, and donors.

Wikipedia awareness according to the Brand Health Tracker 2022

According to the 2022 Wikimedia Brand Health Tracker maintained by the Communications team, global brand awareness for Wikipedia stands at 80%, behind internet giants like Google (93%), Facebook (92%), and Twitter (86%). Relative to other sites or apps, Wikipedia has a good presence in the world (71%), compared to Wikidata (13%) and Wikimedia Commons (11%).

There have been some large-scale activities to increase the awareness of our movement:

• In 2022, the Communications team organized a Sound Logo contest to select the sound that will help identify Wikimedia content in increasingly popular audio formats like voice assistants. 3,235 sound logos were submitted by 2,094 participants in 135 countries. The winner was announced on March 2023.
  • The Wikimedia Foundation Annual Report provides a review of activities and plans and it is used to increase the awareness of Wikimedia among the public, the media, and donors. The 2022 edition was sent to about 191,000 donors.
  • The Global Advocacy team, in collaboration with affiliates and volunteers, continued educating policymakers and other stakeholders about Wikimedia’s model of community-led governance and content moderation. This included work in the United Kingdom (with WMUK), the European Union (with WMEU, WMCZ, and WMUA), the United States (with WMDC), Latin America (with WMCL and others), Asia (with WMID and WMTH), and Africa (with various affiliates and volunteers). A recent example is the call to action to amend the Online Safety Bill in the UK and avoid its threat to the future of Wikipedia. Other examples include the efforts to educate allies about the Wikimedia model of content moderation and governance at the Asia-Pacific Digital Rights Assembly in Chiang Mai (Thailand), at RightsCon 2023 in Costa Rica, and at the Digital Rights and Inclusion Forum 2023 in Nairobi (Kenya).